Monday, May 30, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Marbled Banana Bread


When I was younger, my sisters and I used to love peanut butter sandwiches with chocolate chips sprinkled on top. Then, as I got older, peanut butter and banana sandwiches became my fave. To think though, in all those years, it never occurred to me to combine all three for the ultimate taste sensation.

It's all good though, because I found a bread recipe that does just that - Chocolate Peanut Butter Marbled Banana Bread from Merlot's blog, Goddess of Baking. The recipe is an original creation of Emily from Sugar Plum (love her blog), and so I just knew I was in for something delicious.

The recipe makes a lot of batter. Altogether, I had enough to make three mini loaves and muffins besides. When it came to the muffins, I decided not to go through the trouble of swirling the two batters and simply just made two types of muffins - chocolate banana and banana peanut butter.



The loaves and muffins rise very high and the sprinkling of chocolate chips on top adds just the right touch (I used white chocolate chips and semisweet). The original recipe uses peanut butter chips and I just know that those would definitely go well with the bread. I don't think I'd be against the idea of using chopped up Reese's peanut butter cups either (oh boy would that ever be the best).


The bread was very yummy, but I couldn't really taste the peanut butter. I think if I had used the peanut butter chips, it would have stood out more. Strangely enough, I also found that I liked this more with the batters separate in the mini muffin form rather than all mixed together. The chocolate banana muffins were my especial favorite so, in a roundabout way, I've now found a great recipe for those.


Still, though, if you like the chocolate-peanut butter-banana combo, I highly suggest that you give this bread a try. At the very least, if you're like me, you'll have a batch of chocolate banana muffins that you'll adore.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Marbled Banana Bread (adapted from Goddess of Baking and Sugar Plum)

2 1/3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 medium bananas, very ripe and mashed
3/4 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. milk (I used fat-free yogurt)
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
chocolate chips or white chocolate chips (for sprinkling on top)

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour a 9-inch loaf pan or three mini loaf pans + 1 mini muffin pan.

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk in chocolate and peanut butter chips until combined.

Beat together bananas and peanut butter until creamy, about 1 min. Beat in sugars until creamy, about 1 min. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined.

Gradually beat in flour mixture, alternating with milk, until well-combined - about 2 min. Remove half of the batter and put it into another bowl (about 2 cups). Sift the cocoa powder into one of the bowls and beat until combined. Alternate spoonfuls of banana batter and chocolate batter into the pan(s). When all the batter is in the pan(s), swirl a knife sparingly through the batters to marble them. Sprinkle with additional chocolate and peanut butter chips, if desired.

Alternately, you can do like I did and just spoon the batters separately into a mini muffin tin without combining them.

Bake for 60-65 min. (large loaf) or 40-45 min. (mini loaves) or 12-15 min. (mini muffins). Bread will rise up, turn deep golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into it will come out with moist crumbs attached.

Cool on a wire rack for 30 min. Run a knife around the outer edges and invert onto wire rack to cool completely before slicing.

For the mini muffins, you can press a chocolate chip into the middle of each one while the muffins are still warm (semisweet for the banana-peanut butter muffins and a white chocolate chip for the chocolate-banana muffins).

This recipe is linked to:
So Sweet Sundays
Muffin Mondays
My Meatless Mondays
Just Another Meatless Monday
Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday
A Little Birdie Told Me
Hearth n' Soul Hop
Tuesday Night Supper Club

21 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! The combination would be so good, I can just imagine it now

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look good! I'm building quite a list of things to make from your site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty bread. I wish I could have a few of those little muffins for a snack now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds awesome. I think the peanut butter chips would be a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this just the other week and it was SO good!! Different recipe, but I doubt the end result is too different. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious and fun! What a great combination of ingredients! So cute too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two of my favorite flavors. I just did a peanut butter brownie, but adding the banana gives another dimension. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow...love those muffins...lovely combo...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What yummy looking treats. I will be trying this recipe tonight when I get home. I have bananas just ready to make bread!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lisa,
    What great muffins, they look so good. Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many yummy flavors. This looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that marbled look when you cut them open! They look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm yummy! I am going to email this to my friend Brooke who I know would LOVE these!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your site is so inspiring! i love your stuff-- and i haven't made a quickbread/loaf since the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know without a doubt that this tastes amazing! Wow!

    Thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for linking your scrumptious recipe up at Muffin Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lisa, you always come up with the best flavor combinations!

    Thank you so much for being a regular part of "A Little Birdie Told Me..."!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  18. you are killing me! didn't anyone tell you it is swim suit season!! you tempt me week after week with your amazing food. this is no exception. thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, I’m Saint. I’m a web developer living in Chase City, Virginia, United States, 23924. I am a fan of technology, writing, and web development. You can read my blog with a click on the button Below.
    Mcafee.com/activate
    Office.com/setup

    ReplyDelete