Monday, May 9, 2011

Brown Sugar Chai Spice Ice Cream




There was a gallon of milk just sitting in my fridge, which isn't so bad except that it had to be drunk up/used within several days. So, the question was, what could I do with it? I needed a recipe that would use up a lot of milk at one go, but things like bread pudding, rice pudding, and french toast just didn't seem to interest me. Then, it hit me. ICE CREAM!!!

I confess that ice cream is one of my weaknesses. Cakes, cookies, and pies are all well and good, but ice cream is the one "staple" that I always have to have in my house. The majority of the recipes I found, however, all contained egg yolks and that's something I'd prefer to avoid. Then, I found a recipe for vanilla ice cream which called for only milk (okay I guess that would make it a vanilla ice milk). But, technicalities aside, it sounded pretty good to me.

Still though, there was a little part of my brain that said, "Why go simple when you can go superb?" I decided to create my own flavor of ice cream. First, I swapped out the white sugar for brown sugar. Then, I began to think of what would go well with that taste. Hmmm, brown sugar and chai seem to complement each other well, so why not go with that? I added some of my chai spice blend and a little vanilla, mixed it all well, and took a taste of the milk. Oh my gosh. It was super good. I could already tell this was going to be one fab ice cream.

After churning it till it was the consistency of soft-serve, I took another taste of the finished product. What else can I say except that I love it!!! Not only does it taste good, it's also fat-free and still stayed creamy even after being in the freezer. Hot diggity dog! Creating your own stuff is definitely fun, like being a scientist in a lab, but even better because you get to eat the results. Speaking of eating the results, I'm off to the kitchen right now to do just that.




Brown Sugar Chai Spice Ice Cream (created by Lisa of Sweet as Sugar Cookies)

2 c. milk (I used skim)
1/2 c. + 1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
3/4 tsp. chai spice blend (see below)
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Chai Spice (Sweet as Sugar Cookies blend)

4 tsp. cinnamon
4 tsp. ginger powder
2 tsp. cardamom
2 tsp. cloves (or allspice)
1/2 tsp. white pepper

Combine the milk, brown sugar, chai spice, and vanilla and mix well. Pour into the bowl of your ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.

Note: If you want a creamier ice cream, feel free to substitute the milk with whole milk, half-and-half, cream, or a combination of them for your desired consistency.

This recipe is linked to:
My Meatless Mondays
Just Another Meatless Monday
Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday
Make a Food-e Friend Monday
Made It On Monday
So Sweet Sundays
Tuesday Night Supper Club
Hearth n' Soul Hop
A Little Birdie Told Me
Tasty Tuesdays
Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesdays
Sweet Tooth Friday
Recipes I Can't Wait to Try
Sweet Indulgences Sunday

28 comments:

  1. I saw this title come up sometime last week, then it must have been deleted. I've been waiting for it to show up again! It sounds so good...and I have all the supplies to make it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need an ice cream maker! I would be able to run to the kitchen and make this now if I had one. Sounds so delicious. Chai spice makes me giddy. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chai and ice cream. Thank for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this sounds good! I bet it smelt wonderful too! Great job, Lisa! I can imagine having this sandwiched between sweet soft bread! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've really been into the frozen desserts these days :), I love it! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this looks wonderful! i just got an ice cream maker so i'm putting this on my list of ones to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good - and I just got an icecream maker!

    Frugally Green Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE chai! I can't wait to try this recipe. I was thinking about your chai do-nut muffins the other day and how I wondered where I could get chai spice- voila! :) Thank you!

    -Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man! I'm always looking for new ice cream recipes and this one looks especially good. I love the idea of chai!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with your assessment - hot diggity dog indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This ice cream has no egg yolk and I love this! Will bookmark this recipe. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds delicious - what a fantastic idea to use such lovely spices. I can just imagine how yummy they tasted against the background of the brown sugar. Truly gourmet ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ice cream is my weakness, too. I love chai flavors, so this is calling my name. Bookmarking to make soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmm! This looks amazing! The sugary sweet flavors must be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ohhhhh, you shouldnt have!!! that looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YUMMO! This ice cream sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there, thanks for visiting my blog...you sure have lots of wonderful recipes here! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh brown sugar sounds like a fabulous addition to ice cream. Now I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brown sugar chai spice ice cream sounds awesome.I too had weakness for Ice cream. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so need to buy me an ice cream maker! With this and the ginger ice cream? Wow, what awesome flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful way to used up the milk! Thanks for the idea and I'll never have extra milk going to waste any more! Your recipe sounds totally delicious. Gotta try that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lisa, you've really got this ice-cream making down to a science and such interesting and delicious flavor combinations. I'm definitely thinking about investing in an ice cream maker just to try out some of your recipes. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  23. your ice cream skills are off the hook! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mmmm....Brown sugar and chai do sound like a match made in heaven and I love that you're sweet frozen treat isn't too fattening either!

    Thank you for always having something original, delicious, and inspired to link up to "A Little Birdie Told Me..."!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh man, I love homemade ice cream. Your recipe sounds so wonderful, I had to Stumble it.

    Thanks for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  26. hey! just wanted to let you know that i featured this recipe in a post i did today about ice cream! Hope that's ok by you! have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. How did i miss this recipe?! I'm gonna try this out asap... of course I'm gonna have to paleo/primalize it - you know full fat milk, maybe full fat cream + honey but I'm definitely using your chai spice mix :)

    ReplyDelete