Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Irish Soda Bread Biscuit


I love Irish Soda Bread and see no reason why it can't be made all year round instead of only during the month of March. So, when I came across this recipe on Mikelle's site, Food, Fun, Life, I decided to go ahead and make it. Who cares if it's May?

It's different from other soda breads I've made in that it uses eggs and butter. I wondered how that would change the texture and taste. Mikelle described it as being like a giant biscuit and that's exactly what it is!!! The outside is so deliciously crunchy while the inside is soft and fluffy. I couldn't keep my hands off of this one. Spread with butter and jam this would be nothing short of incredible. I think this would even make great drop biscuits. Oh the possibilities.

Irish Soda Bread (Food, Fun, Life)

3 c. flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 egg
1 1/2 - 2 c. buttermilk

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and add the egg and the buttermilk. Mix until just moistened (it will look like biscuit dough). Form the dough into a ball in a greased round cake pan. Bake at 350F for about 45 min. or until browned and sounds hollow when tapped.

14 comments:

  1. What a clever idea! Who says we just have to enjoy Irish Soda bread on St. Patrick's Day :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! I'd love to make that bread if it is like a giant biscuit :) Who could resist that?
    Also, I wanted to invite you to link up some of your delicious recipes (like those strawberry chocolate chip muffins!) on the new linky portion of These Chicks Cooked. Hope you're have a blessed week, Lisa!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many delicious possibilities with this! Looking forward to trying this one with all sorts of tasty jams, maybe some clotted cream, and definitely some softened butter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had it but I would like to make it at some point :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That just sounds fantastic. I cannot wait to try this. Thanks for trying and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! This looks sooo tasty! Thanks for sharing a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Irish soda bread is wonderful! And your recipe looks perfect ( NO raisins ;)).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I thought it was a fun recipe and my family really enjoyed it! Thanks again for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like giant biscuits! Had Irish soda bread for the first time this past St. Patrick's day. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea since I love Irish Soda bread so much. It looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the shape of your bread :) It looks like a huge puffed cookie and I'm a big bread lover so I'll have to give this one a try soon :) I also want to thank you for the nice comment on my blog! I still can't believe to be the no.1 spot on your link party - I mean there's always so many wonderful sweets :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the worst luck with Irish soda bread. Maybe making it into a biscuit would work better. I will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete