Monday, May 16, 2011

The Secret Recipe Club - Orange Chocolate Chip Bread




I love trying new recipes from other people's blogs. So I jumped at the chance to become a part of the Secret Recipe Club hosted by Amanda of Amanda's Cookin'. Each month, you're assigned to another person's blog and you get to choose one recipe from it to make and share.


The fun twist is that you can't tell anyone whose blog you have - it's a secret, shhhh - until you finally post about it. Anyone is free to join in as long as you have at least 60 recipe posts on your blog. All you have to do is click on the link and sign up.

This month, I was assigned to Rachel's blog, Tangerine's Kitchen. There were so many delicious looking recipes there that I had the hardest time choosing what to make. But, I finally narrowed it down to this Orange Choco-Chip Loaf. Rachel altered the recipe from the original to give it more orange flavor, and you know that's what I like.


When they came out of the oven, I took a taste and it was popping with orange flavor, exactly the way I'd want an orange bread to be. The crust on the outside even had an orange-y sugary caramelized taste and texture. And, due to all the orange zest and juice, the loaves were a beautiful pale orange color, delightful!!!


Unfortunately, although I floured my chocolate chips before mixing them in, they still all sank to the bottom.


But, do not weep for those missing chips because they found their way into my tummy and they were delicious.

Some chocolate chips survived.

All in all, the orange bread was one incredibly yummy delight and was eaten up in just two days. I would definitely make this again. Thanks so much Rachel for the fantastic recipe!


Orange Chocolate Chip Bread (from Tangerine's Kitchen)

zest from 3 oranges (about 3 Tbsp.)
juice from 3 oranges (about 1 cup)
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 vanilla bean (I used 1 tsp. vanilla)
1 c. chocolate chips

Grease one 9x5 loaf pan or 3 mini loaf pans. Preheat the oven to 350F.

Rub the orange zest into the sugar with your fingers until it is fragrant and moist. Combine the dry ingredients with the sugar. Combine the wet ingredients. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the pan(s) and sprinkle some chocolate chips on top. Bake 30-45 min. or until the bread tests done.

Note: My changes to the recipe are in red.

This recipe is linked to:
A Little Birdie Told Me
Tuesday Night Supper Club
Whisking Wednesday
Made it on Monday
Recipes I Can't Wait to Try
Full Plate Thursday
Friday's Potluck
Sweet Tooth Friday
So Sweet Sundays

42 comments:

  1. This is one of my fav recipes owing to the citrusy flavour. The colour is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh MAN! I can practically taste the chocolate orange goodness! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wanted to invite you to check out a giveaway on my blog for a 12 pack of Element Bars. Check it out here: http://imapretendchef.blogspot.com/2011/05/element-bars-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, this bread looks delish!!! Please check out my page, YOU have an award:):)
    http://ameessavorydish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa-I love the Secret Recipe Club idea, sounds so much fun and unique. Will find out more about it...clicking on to the link.
    I loved reading your cute post about the chocolate chips sinking to the bottom, but in the meantime it was not ruined and sure looks yummy and tempting.
    Love the little orange loaves...thanks for sharing, and will get more info to sign up:DDD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great bread. Love orange and chocolate together. Maybe subbing mini chips would help so they didn't sink to the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! This sort of reminds me of the chocolate oranges that you smack and they have the incredibly orange flavor for looking like a solid ball of chocolate. Great job! I'm going to have to give this one a try. Have a wonderful Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mouth is watering! I'll be baking this for sure...jotting down "oranges" on my shopping list. I bet it would make terrific muffins as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had that happen with the chocolate chips too! But you're right, they still make it to the tummy! So glad you participated this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I've ever had orange bread, but it sounds like something I'd like to try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the same problem with chips - only usually with the vanilla ones (go figure?!). In any case, it is always yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Orange and Chocolate sounds like a great combo!

    Ruchi
    http://ruchisimplyfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That loaf looks delicious. I love the orange + chocolate combination. Welcome to the group :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what fun. You always have something wonderful on your blog. Love the recipe you picked to make.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love citrus flavored breads and this sounds great! Glad I joined the SRC- got to know about so many brilliant blogs out there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooooh, I LOVE chocolate plus orange together! Such a perfect combination! This bread sounds fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful and very delicious!!!I love your photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmmm your pictures literally made my mouth water. So good! Thanks for sharing the recipe so we can all enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun idea for a cooking/baking group! This bread sounds amazing, too...mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great recipe, I love the combination of orange and chocolate, simply no way to go wrong with these ingredients :-). Beutiful pic!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun idea to do a secret recipe club! That orange chocolate chip bread sounds wonderful and your pictures look really yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a fun idea of Amanda's. I love chocolate and orange together as you well know from my blog. This looks so yummy. I can't figure out why your choc. chips sank if you tossed them in flour. Hmmm? If I come up with an answer, I'll let you know. Seriously, this is stumping me but I will try not to lose sleep over it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had an orange bread when I was on my honeymoon in HA over twenty years ago that blew me away. I haven't been able to find one that had enough orange in it, but maybe this is it. Thanks for showcasing it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is so much fun trying other people's recipes. I can't imagine why your chocolate chips didn't behave.

    ReplyDelete
  25. http://adampaulgreen.com/

    Orange and chocolate- sounds amazing! I am going to give this recipe a bit of a twist. I plan to use "Xocai Healthy chocolate" instead of the "chips."
    ~Adam Paul Green

    http://mxi.myvoffice.com/cacaopow/

    http://myxocai.com/cacaopow/15-reasons-to-try-xocai

    http://myxocai.com/cacaopow/healthy-chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love orange and chocolate together ...great pairing, and a wonderful pick for the SRC. I'm bookmarking this as I see just 2 tbsps of butter and an amazing cake! Maybe the chips won't sink if you use mini ones, or maybe you can bake at a lower temperature to begin with, and then increase it? Maybe... just thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The bread looks great! P.S. I love your little chocolate chip smiley :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. The bread looks great even if the choc chips did sink. Why do they do that?? I agree with other comments - chocolate and orange is a divine combo!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lately I've been into making recipes using lots of citrus fruits. I'm sure that I would love this bread. The orange and chocolate would be a different taste for me. I've never had it before like this.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The Secret Recipe Club is SUCH a fabulous idea!

    http://www.alittlenosh.net

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks so good - YUM! Huge citrus fan and i think i would just love this! Love to see what everyone made.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a nice combination - orange and chocolate (even if the chips sunk!). Great choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is such a beautiful bread, Lisa, and a creative recipe. I love the flavors! Thanks for sharing. :) You have a beautiful blog and I'm so glad to have found it! :) I'll be coming back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yum! Orange and chocolate is such a delicious and classic pairing. So glad you joined SRC :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Glad you joined the group and will be baking along. The bread looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lisa, thanks for bringing to Friday Potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lisa these little loafs look good!

    I am so happy you join in Made it on Monday!

    *How is the blender?* :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. This looks so yummy! My husband loves the orange and chocolate combo, so I will have to make it for him sometime!

    Thanks for sharing with So Sweet Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What an incredibly fun and original party concept! The recipe you chose looks fantastic and your smiling chocolate chips crack me up!

    It's always such a pleasure to have you be a part of "A Little Birdie Told Me..."!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  40. Just wanted to thank you for linking up on my Whisking Wednesdays link party last week and hope to see you again this week!

    http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/2011/05/whisking-wednesdays-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh this looks delicious! I love orange and chocolate together!!!

    ReplyDelete