Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mango Bread


Being raised in Hawaii means that you become accustomed to a specific occurrence that happens every year - mango season. During mango season, the trees in people's backyards yield so much fruit that they don't know what to do with it all. This leads to a very interesting solution. They put a bunch of mangoes into paper bags, go to the houses of people they know, and anonymously leave these "gifts" on people's doorsteps. You then find yourself inundated with mangoes and, unless you actually love them and intend to eat them all, you have one of two options - pay them forward or (egads) keep them in the house until they go bad. I'm afraid that we are guilty of the latter (though we have nothing against dried mangoes especially with li hing mui powder).

Now, however, I know that there is a third option and if we had thought about it back then, we would have welcomed those countless mangoes with open arms. When everyone on the island . . . ahem, I mean when "life" gives you mangoes, make Mango Bread.

Although I had heard about mango bread growing up, it never occurred to me to try making it. That is, until years later when I encountered a friend who disliked mangoes as much as I did. On a whim, the two of us decided to try making mango bread. We didn't intend to eat it, rather we planned to give the loaves away. But, when those loaves came out of the oven, naturally we had to take a taste just to make sure that it was actually edible. Oh boy, it was more than edible, it was delicious. Somehow, the mangoes we disliked so much melded sweetly into that cinnamon spiced bread and turned into something totally different and irresistible. Yeah, I'm sure you can guess that those loaves didn't survive the night, let alone made it out our door.

So, if you love mangoes, make this mango bread. If you don't like mangoes, make this mango bread. It will completely change your mind.

Mango Bread (unfortunately I can't remember the cookbook where I found this recipe)

2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 c. oil
2 large mangoes, diced

Preheat the oven to 500F. Grease four mini loaf pans or two large loaf pans.

Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Make a well in the center and add the eggs and oil. Mix well (batter will be very dense). Stir in the mangoes (this will help to thin it out a bit more).

Pour into the loaf pans and bake at 500F for 5 min. After the 5 min. are up, turn the heat down to 350F and continue baking for 35 min. more or until it tests done. Enjoy them as is or spread with a little butter for an even more tasty experience.

Note: I recommend greasing the loaf pans with butter or margarine. Then, when you take the loaves out, you'll find that all the sides of the loaves are deliciously buttery and almost caramelized.

This recipe is linked to:
A Little Birdie Told Me
Hearth n' Soul Hop
Tuesday Night Supper Club
Friday's Potluck
Sweet Tooth Friday
Themed Bakers' Sunday

Tuesday Night Supper Club

Featured on:
Rook 17: A Little Birdie Told Me
Tuesday Night Supper Club

41 comments:

  1. Wow...never heard of mango bread...although I'm not sure why since I've had breads made out of lots of different fruits/veggies (ie zuchinni, pumpkin, banana, corn, etc). This is genius and looks pretty tasty. My kids would probably really enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds totally easy to make and lovely! thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a mango fan either, but it is always wise to try something new, thanks. Your bread looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, I have over a 1,000 cookbooks so I understand:-D! This bread sounds so good and it would be even better with some of my Mango/Peach jam on it. That's all I'd need for breakfast. Love, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never even heard of mango bread. That is genius to me. I love mango. It is a flavor that makes me giddy. I will have to try this. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love mangoes but would never have thought to bake them up in a bread like this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm obsessed with mangoes!! so this is probably the bread for me! :) mango season in hawaii sounds so amazing - i wish someone would leave some mangoes on my doorstep!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love mangoes! I have 2 on my kitchen counter just waiting for me :) I think I'll have to try this recipe, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh I love mango, this has got to be good!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm mangoes! Too bad I don't have any so feel free to send your paper bags of mangoes my way. ;) When I do get my hands on some however, I'll be thinking of this bread.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mangos are my favourite fruit. I absolutely love them but they tend to be so expensive here that I hardly ever have them. I would be in heaven if I was in Hawaii in mango season.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious! I'll have to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delish! I love mangoes a lot! I can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum...I remember mango season. Our across the street neighbors had a mango tree that was amazing and I miss the ginormous mangos we got from that tree.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks amazing. I'm not sure I've ever even tasted a mango.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love mangoes! We have it whole year round. I like to eat it fresh, cool from the fridge. Sometimes I make mango bread and really delicious made into ice cream. Your bread looks good with the chunky mangoes, something that I will have to try one day. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny...here I am thinking that must have been amazing to have all those fresh mangoes, but I would probably get tired of them too if I had that many...lol I love them but can never figure out how to cut them properly. The mango bread sounds wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love mangos and cannot wait to try this bread. It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never see this before but that makes it all the more interesting. I'm rather new to your blog and don't often comment, but I wanted you to know how much I appreciate the food and recipes you feature here. I really enjoy the time I spend here and I visit often. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmm, I just bought a whole bunch of mangoes, too! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, wow! I've never even imagined mango bread...but I'm certain I would love it. Thanks for sharing, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have always wanted to make a mango cake ut this is better. Adding to my list........

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was just in Hawaii last week and had the most delicious mangoes of my life. I also discovered li hing mui powder but we had it on pineapples - I bought a big bag to bring home - yum! I will certainly try this bread - yum! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am waiting for the 4 large apple mangoes in my pantry to ripen:D This sounds like a lovely cake that I can try out with my mangoes!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cinnamon with mango makes an excellent combi and i know i would love this too.
    If only we lived closer , how wonderful that would be no?
    I always find some very wonderful recipes at ur sweets for saturday and always mean to leave u a note and add my sweets too:-) but dont end up doing that:-)
    Happily wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks so yummy! We are a mango-lovin' house. :) I'm going to try this--my kids will love it! Thanks for the great recipe. --btw--so jealous that you grew up in Hawaii. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. They've got mangoes on sale at the market right now. I'm definitely trying your bread.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lisa I love (always ) mangoes and this bread look amazing! x gloria

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an awesome idea!! I love banana bread, but I'm a HUGE mango fan so this sounds even better :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award :) Come Check it Out :)

    http://www.catzinthekitchen.biz/2011/05/i-was-gone-when-i-was-given-this-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. I tried Hawaiin sweet bread for the first time last November and it was pretty D-licious! This sounds like the perfect dessert with mangoes (and icecream!)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Glad that I found your blog. I've never tried mango bread. Very interesting recipe and it looks absolutely delicious.

    I am your new follower. I invite you to follow my blog.

    http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. how interesting...i have never tried mango bread...i do think i would like it. particularly because you haven't steered me wrong yet! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lisa, I can't wait to try mango bread! I love mango. It's by far my very favorite fruit. And as if Hawaii weren't enough of a paradise already, now you're telling me there's a virtual Mango Fairy that leaves the ambrosial fruit on your doorstep? I am SO living on the wrong side of the Pacific!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Our mango trees are getting close to ripening the fruit, here in S. Florida. I sure appreciate your tried and true yummy recipe for the mango bread...so moist and delicious.
    I've wondered about the 500 degree F. temp. for the first 5 minutes, guess it's to cook the mangos inside the batter faster?...otherwise maybe they would give out too much moisture...I suppose! However, there's a reason for this 5min. high temp.

    I'm your newest follower...stop by and visit, and I invite you to follow, as well:DDD

    ReplyDelete
  36. Well I made this recipe and it came out of the oven all nice looking. by the time the loaves cooled they flattened. Still tasted good but I find it strange that the flattened when cooling.

    ReplyDelete
  37. sweet-as-sugar-cookie Well I made this recipe and it came out of the oven all nice looking. by the time the loaves cooled they flattened. Still tasted good but I find it strange that the flattened when cooling.


    Dark Souls 3 game Download
    Ashampoo Driver Updater full Crack
    Miracle Box full Crack
    Adobe XD full Crack
    Microsoft Office 2021 patch
    foot massage

    ReplyDelete
  38. I guess I am the only one who came here to share my very own experience. Guess what!? I am using my laptop for almost the past 2 years, but I had no idea of solving some basic issues. I do not know how to Easy to Direct Download All Software But thankfully, I recently visited a website named vstpirate
    DVDFab Passkey Crack
    Lumion Pro Crack
    Ashampoo Driver Updater Crack

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, amazing block structure! How long
    Have you written a blog before? Working on a blog seems easy.
    The overview of your website is pretty good, not to mention what it does.
    In the content!
    vstpatch.net
    DxO FilmPack Crack
    ClamXAV Crack
    Ashampoo Driver Updater Crack
    Ashampoo PDF Pro Crack
    iDealshare VideoGo Crack

    ReplyDelete
  40. I like your all post. You have done really good work. Thank you for the information you provide, it helped me a lot. crackdoc.org I hope to have many more entries or so from you.
    Very interesting blog.
    JetBrains CLion Crack
    PRTG Network Monitor Crack
    CCleaner Pro Crack
    AOMEI Partition Assistant Crack
    Eset Smart Security Premium Crack

    ReplyDelete