Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies


Chocolate chip cookies are a classic treat. However, this one simple treat has evolved to the point where there are countless variations of it all claiming to be the best. Even I have a family recipe to which I'm extremely partial and, as yet, have never found a chocolate chip cookie recipe to match it for taste and texture. Still, I decided that it was high time to leave my CCC comfort zone and see what else is out there. Thus begins my quest for the BEST chocolate chip cookie.

Over the next several weeks, I intend to make and share 12 different recipes (some well-known ones and others less so), including my FAVE family recipe. For control purposes, the cookies will always appear on the same plate so that you can see the differences in color, texture, and so forth. Then, at the end of my quest, I'll try and load a chart of all the recipes so that you can see how they differ in terms of their ingredients and the amounts that were used. And, of course, I will announce which one I determined to be my favorite of them all.

So, to kick it all off, I decided to make these Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies that I saw on Crepes of Wrath. It's a bit unorthodox, I admit, since nearly every single CCC uses butter. Still, I was curious to find out how these would differ.

The first thing I noticed is that the amount of olive oil required by the recipe is much lower than the amount of butter that one usually uses in CCC recipes. This resulted in a very stiff dough that had to be molded really well or else the chocolate chips would fall out. The cookies also did not spread out at all while baking (presumably due to the reduced amount of fat), so I flattened them down while they were in the oven (cause I didn't want chocolate chip cookie mounds). Finally, upon taking them out of the oven, I noted that they were very light colored.

The outside of the cookies was very crunchy and the inside was wonderfully soft and chewy. The taste, however, puts me at a loss for words. I'm not even sure how to describe what they tasted like except to say that they were "interesting." They weren't bad, but they didn't exactly have that normal chocolate chip cookie taste that I expected. I'm guessing that butter really is necessary for that taste that we all know and love. Still, I'm glad that I tried this recipe.

So, one down and 11 more to go. Stay tuned to see how the Great CCC Quest of 2011 turns out.

Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies (from Crepes of Wrath)

2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. white sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1-2 Tbsp. milk (I left this out)
1 c. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375F. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside. Combine sugars, vanilla, and olive oil (mixture will be very grainy). Beat in the eggs one at a time. Gradually beat in the flour mixture, then add in a tablespoon of milk to make the dough a bit firmer (maybe another tablespoon if you need it).

Roll the dough into balls with your hands and place on a greased and/or lined baking sheet and bake for 10-12 min., until lightly golden and set (I baked mine for 15-17 min.). Allow to cool on the baking sheet then move to another surface to finish cooling.

This recipe is linked to:
Made it on Monday
Recipes I Can't Wait to Try
These Chicks Cooked
Whisking Wednesday
Full Plate Thursday
Sweet Tooth Friday
Bake with Bizzy
Friday's Potluck
Fat Camp Friday
Sweet Indulgences Sunday
Themed Bakers' Sunday
So Sweet Sunday
Savory Sunday
CCC Round-Up

26 comments:

  1. Interesting. I was hoping using olive oil would be a more healthy alternative....too bad they don't taste as good as their butter counterpart.

    But I do love crunchy outside and chewy inside type of texture in my CCC.

    Thanks for sharing and I look forward to the rest of the 11 other ccc recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. Dangerous waters. I heart CCC!!! But, I must admit, I think I created the worlds best recipe (not that I'm biased or anything). It's on my site if you're interested! http://www.shugarysweets.com/2011/02/chocolate-chip-cookies.html
    For me, the key is using shortening and all brown sugar. Gives it a nice texture on the outside while keeping the inside soft. Hmmm, Now I feel the need to go bake cookies!! Can't wait to see the varieties you put out!
    -Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this challenge, Lisa! My family would be thrilled if I joined you :) They're always asking for CCCs...but Nestle's tollhouse would satisfy them every time. Sorry #1 was not a winner...on to the next~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been worried about using olive oil in cookies but these look fantastic!! I'll have to try it next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once tried oil in a cookie and didn't like the taste or texture. I guess I'll have to say it's only butter for me when it comes to cookies! But, can't wait to see what others you come up with. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea...can't wait to find out what you determine is the best recipe.

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. Now, I'm a little inspired too. Of course, I feel like I already have the best chocolate chip cookie (with peanut butter!) like everyone else does....what I want is the best no bake that turns out every single time. I can never get those quite right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm....I wonder if using coconut oil instead of olive oil would work? I would certainly think it would help with the taste...may have to try that here today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting recipe! I'm not sure if I could enjoy CCC without butter. Can't wait to see what other ones you'll try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of CCC with Olive oil before. I think this is a really cool idea! I look forward to reading this every week :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I cannot wait. This is going to be a really fun 12 recipes. I am going to try this one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your idea of trying 12 different types of CCC! I usually prefer using butter because my husband and son prefer butter for all their cookies. "Man!" *sign* I look forward more of your other CCC recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm. That does sound like an interesting recipe. It is hard to imagine chocolate chip cookies without butter. I am interested to see how it turns out when you try out all the different ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now this sounds like my kind of baking challenge. I'll look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tried a coconut oil version this past weekend and just posted it on my blog. It worked really well, but I never thought to use olive oil. I'm always looking for new, interesting recipes so I can't wait to see the results of your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You always have such wonderful baked recipes. Would you be kind enough to add your link to Bake with Bizzy. I would be delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lisa,
    What a great Cookie Quest. It will be fun to watch the journey of the Quest. This cookie looks delicious,a great recipe. Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lisa, this so good idea! I'm really happy for this post and can't wait for the others because I'm looking for the best CCC recipe, too :) Very interesting! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay! I can't wait for your family recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing with Friday Potluck - I love experimenting, and am never sorry when I do, even if I decide it's not going to be a repeat. They look beautiful. Looking forward to more from you on your quest!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am intrigued by the rest of your quest. Yes, I think butter helps tremendously with browning and also that familiar flavor we know and love! These look great though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I must try baking with olive oil! Especially if chocolate is involved.

    Thank you so much for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday! I hope to see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have you seen/tried this recipe?
    http://lucerooliveoil.com/blog/recipes/the-best-chocolate-olive-oil-cookies-ever/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey, I’m John. I’m a web developer living in 145 Kelley Blvd, Millbrook AL 36054. I am a fan of technology, writing, and web development. You can read my blog with a click on the button Below.
    Webroot.com/safe
    Mcafee.com/activate

    ReplyDelete