Monday, June 13, 2011

Ultimate Fluffy Pancakes - Secret Recipe Club


It's time once again for another Secret Recipe Club post (I promise the Chocolate Chip Cookie Quest will continue tomorrow). The Secret Recipe Club, hosted by Amanda of Amanda's Cookin', is so cool. Each month, you get assigned to another person's blog and someone else gets assigned to yours. Then, you both get to choose a recipe to make and post. Easy-peasy and totally fun. If you want to get in on the fun too, just click HERE.

I've been a longtime follower of Rochelle's blog, The Pretend Chef. She and I have even made each other's recipes before and posted about them. So, I was absolutely thrilled to find out that she was my secret assignment for this month.




There was so much to choose from but, after looking through her blog, I finally knew what I wanted to make. You see, a while back, I made Alton Brown's pancakes and posted about how good they were. She then made them and loved them as well. But, two weeks later, she posted about another pancake recipe, one that she said was even lighter and fluffier. Well, I just had to take that challenge, so I decided to make her Classic Pancakes and put them to the test.




The recipe is such a simple one. It doesn't require any fancy ingredients or any complicated steps. Yet, even without any razzmatazz, this recipe produces pancakes that are fluffy to the max. Mine rose at least three-quarters of an inch high!!!


That's incredible in my book. Spread with a little guava jam, they made the perfect dinner. Even my family agreed that these beat Alton Brown's recipe hands-down. They're definitely a keeper and will be my go-to pancake recipe from here on out.

Thanks to you Rochelle, my breakfast will never be the same again.

Classic Pancakes (from Good Things for Kids: 63 Fun and Easy Recipes the Whole Family Will Love)

1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. milk
2 large eggs
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil (I used melted butter)

If using an electric griddle, heat to 325F. In a large bowl, sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and oil/butter. Pour the liquid mixture over the flour mixture and whisk until combined. Make sure not to overmix the batter.

Grease the griddle or skillet. Set skillet on medium. Once hot, pour 1/3 cup batter for each pancake. Add your mix-ins if desired. Flip when small holes about, about 1 1/2-2 min. (mine took about 30 seconds-1 min.). Cook second side until golden.

This recipe is linked to:
My Meatless Monday
Meat Free Monday
Hearth n' Soul Hop
A Little Birdie Told Me

48 comments:

  1. Wow, these pancakes look super fluffy! I sure want some, for breakfast, afternoon tea or mid-night snacks! Oh boy, I'm craving for pancakes now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE pancakes in our home! These look yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pancakes look fluffy & wonderful! Fun to be in the Secret Recipe club with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so yummy! I can't wait to try this recipe, mine never get real fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what's for supper tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun is that! We love pancakes here too. WHo doesn't?
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, pancakes. Now, I wish I had made that for breakfast rather than cereal.
    This would be a great recipe to link up to my Meatfree Mondays linky
    http://pennypinchingprovisions.blogspot.com/2011/06/meat-free-monday-red-beans-and-rice.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pancake-a-holics here too. We love the fluffy ones!!! This little recipe swap looks like a fun idea, I may have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi There, This is looking absolutely delightful. Loved the new combo of ingredients and the recipe is so nicely made and presented. Saving this recipe of urs and wud love to give ur version a try on the coming weekend. Have a great day….Sonia !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those do look excellent. I find that when I don't want mine to rise, they do, and vice versa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is nothing better than a fluffy stack of pancakes. These look so good! Thank you for sharing with me...and for leaving such sweet words on my own blog. I hope you have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those pancakes look so fluff and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look relly good! I haven't had breakfast yet. I LOVE pancakes. I may have to go try them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look amazing! I love super fluffy pancakes. And guava jam? That sounds terrific!: )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa, these look like perfect fluffy pancakes! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fluffy pancakes sound amazing right now. Love the pictures of these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for visiting me at Stirring the Pot so that I could in turn discover your site! I'm too late to link up my sweet treats, but wow did I enjoy looking through all the links here. Will be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These do look like the fluffiest pancakes ever. I LOVE that you topped yours with guava jam. We just got back from Kauai and were eating guava jam on our toast daily. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The pancakes look awesome. Thanks for the invitation to add to Saturday's Sweets party, however I picked up my emails too late. It was a crazy family weekend here and I never turned on my computer.

    I'll try to link up next week.

    Thanks again,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such an easy recipe and they look so soft and yummy! Should I make them for breakfast tomorrow??

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are tyhe fluffiest looking pancakes I've ever seen! I look forward to giving them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Fluffy fluff fluff! Great job. I want pancakes now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The pancakes look so good and fluffy! Feel like having one now!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those look awesome! Nothing like a basic pancake recipe, they always turn out the best!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Look at those fluffy pancakes. Can't believe how much they raise.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How did I miss this one on The Pretend Chef's blog? These are the fluffiest pancakes I've ever seen....mmmmmm. Great selection, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW--I have never made pancakes that are not from a "just add water" mix. These must be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gotta try. Those look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those do look incredibly fluffy and delicious. I am looking forward to trying them:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm enjoying my first month in the Secret Recipe Club and checking out all the blogs and recipes and your pancakes look wonderful. I will be making these with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your pancakes do look light and fluffy! Thanks for sharing your "secret" recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  32. These pancakes look like soft, round pillows...they are that fluffy! I need to use more baking powder in mine too if I want to achieve pancake perfection like these ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey u REALLLLYY had real GOOODDD FLUUUUFFY pancakes :-)Loving these :-)
    Am looking at the secret recipe club recipes all around and am loving it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oooh, I saw those on her blog when she posted them. I haven't tried them yet, though; they look so fluffy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Lisa!

    This looks like a fantastic recipe...can't wait to give it a try. I shared your recipe on my Must Try Tuesday blog post.

    http://therickettchronicles.blogspot.com/2011/06/must-try-tuesday-june-14-2011.html

    Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

    Wende

    ReplyDelete
  36. wow, your pancake is really fluffy!! thanks for inviting me for the linky, i'm late..hope to participate in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  37. oh my gosh. they are SOOOO fluffy! I must make them.

    ReplyDelete
  38. That sure is a fluffy pancake. It looks amazing. Great pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yummy! You can never have too many fluffy pancake recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I just made these today for a lazy Saturday breakfast - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Lisa, estava procurando receitas na web, e achei o seu blog.
    Eu adorei essa receita de panquecas.
    Vou testar em casa.
    Na foto, a panqueca está linda, e com uma cara de que está deliciosa!
    Eu faço panqueca desde criança, mas uma receita um pouco diferente.
    Viste meu blog www.casaefogao.blogspot.com

    Silmara

    (traduzi o texto no google)

    Lisa was looking for recipes on the web and found your blog.
    I loved this recipe for pancakes.
    I will test at home.
    In the picture, the pancake is beautiful, and with a face that is delicious!
    I make pancakes as a child, but a slightly different recipe.
    Have you seen my blog www.casaefogao.blogspot.com

    Silmara

    (google translate the text)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Olá!
    Tudo bem?
    Lisa, olha eu aqui de novo falando sobre as panquecas.
    Quero tirar algumas dúvidas com você, se possével.
    Essa receita base de panqueca, ela serve pra recheios doces e salgados?
    Estou anciosa pra testar essa receita.
    Abraços e sucesso pra você.


    Silmara

    www.casaefogao.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just made this recipe exactly how it was written. Mine were really thin and dense not thick and fluffy and tasted very blan. Mot any of my 4 kids liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  44. These pancakes are so gorgeous. I want to eat that now!

    Marlene
    PicCell Wireless

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the pictures on this blog loading? I'm trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. best places to visit in the world

    ReplyDelete
  46. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an insightful topic. It help me quite definitely to fix some problems. Its opportunity are very fantastic and working style so speedy.amazing animal videos

    ReplyDelete
  47. Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites! simple pancake recipe

    ReplyDelete