Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Soft, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies




Next up: Thick, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Okay, these were actually supposed to be THICK chewy chocolate chip cookies, just like the ones on the blog, Barbara Bakes. Hers looked so beautifully mounded on top that I had high hopes for mine. But, as you can see, my cookies are as flat as a pancake (not necessarily a bad thing, but just not what I was going for).


So, what went wrong? Well, I followed the recipe exactly and baked my cookies for 8 minutes even though they didn't look quite done. I then left them on the cookie sheet for several minutes to finish setting up. To my dismay, I found that underneath the delicate layer of cookie on top, my cookies were still batter throughout! So, back in the oven they went for several more minutes, then out they came, and after sitting again, still batter. Back in the oven once more, take them out, let them sit, and finally they were baked. But, naturally, by that time, the extra baking time had caused them to completely spread out losing that beautiful thickness I so desired.

Since other people have made this recipe with fantastic results, I can only chalk it up to one thing - my oven. Lately, I've been using a really old gas oven. Although it gets the job done, I've noticed that it takes a lot longer for things to bake than usual. The recipe also requires the cookies to be baked at the exact temperature of 400F in order for the cookies to turn out, and unfortunately, the temperature in my oven is not the steadiest thing to manage either.

But, despite the problems I had, the cookies are so delicious. Due to the fact that the recipe uses all brown sugar and no white sugar, they are wonderfully soft and chewy and full of that yummy caramel flavor. Eating them reminds me of those Keebler Soft and Chewy cookies I used to love so much when I was younger. You can bet that I'd make them again, but I think I'll wait till I can use the convection oven at my house.


Thick, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (Barbara Bakes)

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400º.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar, on medium speed, until well blended. Beat in the eggs and vanilla, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add flour mixture; mix well. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans, if using.

Drop dough in 2-tablespoon portions, 2 inches apart, onto baking pans. Bake until the cookies are lightly browned and no longer wet in the center, 6 to 8 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking. (Take the cookies out of the oven 1 or 2 minutes before the cookies are cooked, as they will continue to cook on the baking pans.)

Let cookies cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet before transferring cookies to racks to cool completely.

This recipe is linked to:

Made it on Monday

CCC Round-Up

Great CCC Quest of 2011:
Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies
BAKED Chocolate Chip Cookies
Allrecipes' Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

21 comments:

  1. I love chewy cookies, you one looks so chewy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have an oven thermometer? That might help you with your oven temperatures. At any rate, any chocolate chip cookie looks good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you using an oven thermometer?

    I don't bake very often because mine is old and unpredictable. I have to use the oven thermometer every time I cook because I never know if it is gonna run 100 or 200 degrees hotter than what it should be.

    Just an idea, I hate it when baked goods don't turn out right because of a bad oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though they are not thick, they look delicious. I'm so glad you included them in your CCC experiment. Thanks for the link love! Please tell me if you try them again in the other oven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think keeping up with your CCC quest is giving me a bit of a sugared stomach ache. Haha! I can't wait to find out which cookie you are going to recommend. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am LOVING your choc chip cookie quest! I can't wait to see the final verdict to see what is the best kind :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look absolutely delicious! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love brown sugar chocolate chip cookies. It gives them a little more depth.

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look incredibly yummy even though they aren't think :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the same problem with my oven. I recently bought an oven thermometer at Target and it's helped me make sure the temp is right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You probably need more flour. If the batter doesn't roll in your hands without leaving residue, they need more flour or if they are an oatmeal cookie, add 1 part flour 1 part oatmeal until they don't leave a residue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I’m John. I’m a web developer living in Chase City, Virginia, United States, 23924. I am a fan of technology, writing, and web development. You can read my blog with a click on the button Below.
    Office.com/setup
    Webroot.com/safe
    Norton.com/setup
    Mcafee.com/activate

    ReplyDelete
  13. Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man,Keep it up.
    Office.com/setup

    ReplyDelete
  14. Next time whenever you'll go to microsoft365.com/setup you won't require to enter the product key. As the product key is activated, simply enter the microsoft365.com/setup | www.microsoft365/setup account to install Microsoft 365 apps. microsoft365.com/setup | microsoft365.com/setup , All your transactions are secured with a Paypal Login | Paypal Login , Office 2019 software pack includes Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. office.com/setup home & business 2019 , Visit: betwinner login and login to your bet365 using your email id or username and password. Create an account and enter skype login credentials to start or host a video call. skype logins

    ReplyDelete
  15. https://sarvdata.com/vps/2. Select a server based on server location

    Users of your site determine whether the Iranian server is more suitable for your site or the German server.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Digital currencies are divided into tokens and coins. Coins are currencies like Bitcoin and Atrium that have their own private blockchain network and are deployed on them. Instead, tokens are currencies such as Kisho Ino, https://www.tahlilbazaar.com/news/116676/%D9%85%D8%B9%D8%B1%D9%81%DB%8C-%D8%A7%D8%B1%D8%B2-%D8%AF%DB%8C%D8%AC%DB%8C%D8%AA%D8%A7%D9%84-%DA%A9%DB%8C%D8%B4%D9%88-%D8%A7%DB%8C%D9%86%D9%88-Kishu-Inu-%D9%88-%D8%B1%D8%A7%D9%87-%D9%87%D8%A7%DB%8C-%D8%AE%D8%B1%DB%8C%D8%AF-%D8%A2%D9%86 Tetra, etc. that do not have a dedicated blockchain and other digital currencies are implemented on the blockchain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. https://bit.ly/3kJTEoAThis problem is also manifested by various factors that can be referred to as the presence of blood in the urine, burning sensation when urinating, frequent urination, dripping of urine, dark color and pungent odor of urine, rapid urination and… Had.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When we look back, we find that no one has ever been able to stand up to any technology. Science is advancing and صرافی نیل the world is changing day by day on the path of improvement and progress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Intellectual and mental development: Most game boards are designed based on the development of a mental ability, and the result of the games will be the development of exactly that ability. As we said in the categories section, economic ability and calculation is one of the abilities that we can improve by board games. Inference, analysis, speed of action, etc. are other benefits of board games.
    https://esfahanemrooz.ir/769186-%DA%86%DB%8C-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D8%B2%DB%8C-%DA%A9%D9%86%DB%8C%D9%85%D8%9F.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Matchmaking services is also among the most popular ways to find your true love. Still views on this kind of “help” are absolutely different. Some people say that matchmaking service is a great idea and believe that it will help them find their true love.

    ReplyDelete