Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Auntie Pearl's Chocolate Chip Cookies


Next up:
Auntie Pearl's Chocolate Chip Cookies

This cookie recipe comes from my Auntie Pearl. She's not really related to me, but growing up in Hawaii, everyone is like one big ohana (one big family). As a result, you end up calling a lot of adults "auntie" and "uncle," especially those who are close family friends. Well, every Christmas, my Auntie Pearl would make us a batch of these chocolate chip cookies and they were always greatly enjoyed. When I grew up, I continued the Christmas tradition and made these cookies to give to my friends. During all that time, I tried a few other chocolate chip cookie recipes, but none of them seemed to be as good as these when it came to taste or texture.


The one thing that I especially like about this cookie is that it holds its shape well and stays thick even while baking, giving it that lovely combination of a dense, chewy middle with crisp edges. And, like I said, it always tasted good to me. So, it was with great anticipation that I baked up a batch, believing all the while that it could still be better than any other. What I found instead was that it is a good cookie, but . . . after eating so many GREAT chocolate chip cookies on this journey, my family favorite now paled in comparison.

I see now that I never knew what GOOD chocolate chip cookies were before I began this quest. It's definitely been an eye-opener. And, while it pains me to say goodbye to my old family stand-by recipe, it is with a wide grin and open arms that I now say hello to the new recipes I've found.

Auntie Pearl's Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 c. flour
pinch salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
10 1/2 Tbsp. margarine or salted butter, softened
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 1/2 c. chocolate chips

Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda, and set aside. Cream butter and sugars. Add vanilla and the egg and mix to combine. Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Mix in the chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350F for 10-15 min. or until cookies turn golden brown and are set in the center.

This recipe is linked to:
CCC Round-Up

11 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your disappointment! I know how it feels! I used to bake a certain kind of Christmas cookies and belived these old family ones were the best, then I tried a different recipe which turned out so much better - I felt exactly as sad you did. Anyway, it's good to find better recipe because then you can enjoy better treats :) I love reading your CCC posts and now I just wonder which CCC recipe of those you've tried so far do you consider the best?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do the same in our family with calling our close friends "Auntie" or "Uncle". I love the sense of a large close knit family. These cookies look delicious even if you have yet to disclose your favorite CCC from this quest. I have an idea of what I believe your favorite is so far. I'm waiting for the announcement before baking my next batch of CCC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a family friend who we always called Grandma Betty--but she wasn't related to us! I find myself fortunate that my parents created for us an extended network of people that we could call "family," whether related or not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one looks perfect to me. Giving a try tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The texture sounds lovely. What a great cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be sure and save the recipe for the wonderful memories it conjures up:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They sound very yummy and as it is your family's favorite, I'm sure you'll continue to whip up batches here and there, even if it's not your favorite anymore, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved making this recipe! Great blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cookies tasted delicious, my problem is that the cookies spreaded too thin and they turned out more like batter than actual cookies. They still tasted fine, but more difficult to eat.

    Mariz
    Visit us Western Boots

    ReplyDelete