Monday, June 6, 2011

Allrecipes' "Best" Chocolate Chip Cookies




Next up: "Best" Chocolate Chip Cookies

Wait, before you jump to conclusions, "Best" does not mean that these cookies are the winner of my Great CCC Quest. It just so happened that the title of the recipe on Allrecipes was Best Chocolate Chip Cookies. Okay, now that that's been cleared up, here's what you need to know about this recipe.

First of all, it uses brown sugar and white sugar in equal amounts as opposed to other recipes that use more brown sugar than white. Secondly, it requires you to dissolve the baking soda in hot water before adding it to the dough. Third, the ratio of flour to butter is higher (3:1). I was eager to see how these changes would make a difference in the resulting cookies.

The dough itself was sticky, but while it spread in the oven, it didn't completely flatten out like other recipes I've tried. This is most likely because the recipe has a higher flour to butter ratio. The finished cookies had a little thickness to them which I liked. In addition, they had a nice crispy shell on the outside while still being wonderfully chewy inside. The taste was actually pretty good, but still not quite my ideal. It lacked that caramelly flavor that chocolate chip cookies are known for. That's probably due to the fact that the amounts of brown and white sugar were equal. I'm actually kind of curious as to how these cookies would turn out if I were to use more brown sugar than white, but that's a question for another day.




Best Chocolate Chip Cookies (Allrecipes)

3 c. flour
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. butter (the recipe wasn't specific, but it's probably unsalted)
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2 tsp. hot water
2 c. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Cream the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water and add to the batter with the salt. Stir in the flour and chocolate chips. Drop in large spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for about 10 min. or until edges are nicely browned.

Notes:
1. I used salted butter and omitted the amount of salt in the recipe.
2. I baked my cookies for 15-17 min.

Great CCC Quest of 2011:
Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies
BAKED Chocolate Chip Cookies

This recipe is linked to:
Themed Bakers' Sunday
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Hearth n' Soul Hop
Made it on Monday
CCC Round-Up

20 comments:

  1. Crispy outside and chewy inside sound like a perfect texture! But teah, I would love that caramelly flavor in my CCC as well. Can't wait to see your next recipe on the quest! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see you did this post...I've always wanted to try that recipe, but never got around to it. I'm eager to see what recipe you choose as your winner :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your determination and stamina on your hunt for greatest chocolate chip cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I've never heard of dissolving baking soda in hot water. I wonder what that's supposed to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen that recipe too and thought about making it! So interesting to see how they turned out. Looking forward to your next ccc review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks perfect and yummy, nice shape too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. They sure look good. What a fun experiment this is. I would gain about 10 pounds with all the cookie baking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmm! Love ccc ;)!!! I agree...I like when they are a little thicker with a crispy outside.
    Can't wait to see what's next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted to try that recipe too. I can't wait to see which cookie wins out!! I love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhh...I absolutely LOVE your blog! Those cookies look delicious!

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a lovely comment!

    http://Full-FiguredDiva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to see what you deem as the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm. These look really yummy. It must be a hard job making and tasting all those cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, this one looks the best so far to me. :) Also, I just realized that I posted a chocolate chip cookie recipe tonight that you should totally check out. It's not your average cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i wish u the best of luck in your quest! i cant wait for you to post the winner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I look forward to see your on-going quest for looking the BEST CCC! I like your analysis bit of this recipe. Sounds very logic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The look great and i am sure they were pretty close to best :) Thanks for sharing this with Hearth and Soul Hop..

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look wonderful and I'm curious to try those techniques. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hello dear.the blog is lovely and your recipes seem super. please do join my facebook group called foodie by nature and post some of your great recipes there as well

    heres the link
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_145592072159001

    ReplyDelete
  19. These looks great.. I am going to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete