Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Joanne Chang's Chocolate Chip Cookies


Next up: Joanne Chang's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Okay, you can probably tell by now that I really like Baking and Boys. When I embarked on this quest, I searched Katrina's blog to find out which chocolate chip cookie recipes worked for her and then added those to my list. This was another one of her faves so I had high hopes for this one.

There are several differences between Joanne Chang's recipe and others. One is that she uses a combination of all-purpose flour and bread flour to give the cookies more of a chewy factor. She also uses a combination of semisweet and milk chocolates for double chocolate goodness. But, the one thing that really sets her recipe apart is that it requires a 24 hour (yes, you read that right) chilling time in the fridge. Apparently, the longer you chill the dough, the better the flavor will be. I just had to see if all this would lead to the dream chocolate chip cookie.


The only change I made was to add a little vanilla, per Katrina's instructions. To me, it just wouldn't be a chocolate chip cookie without it. After the dough was made, I covered the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge to begin its long resting period.

The next 24 hours were so difficult. During that time, all you can think about it, "Come on little bowl of dough, work your magic. Deepen flavors, deepen. There you go." Finally, the next morning, I eagerly began the baking process.

The cookies only spread a little in the oven, so at one point, I used a spatula and flattened them down a bit. The resulting cookies were thick and chewy with crisp edges. As for the flavor, oh my, it is so deep, it is incredible. It's like biting into a rich caramel. I didn't even know it was possible for a cookie to taste like this. It just totally blew my mind.


Believe me when I say that the 24-hour wait is so worth it. Please whatever you do, do not skimp on the time. For every precious minute you wait, you will be rewarded with that awesome flavor.

So, run to your kitchen right now and whip up the dough for these cookies. Twenty-four hours from now, you're going to be in chocolate chip cookie heaven.



Joanne Chang's Chocolate Chip Cookies (from Joanne Chang)

1 c. unsalted butter
3/4 c. light brown sugar
3/4 c. white sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla (I added this)
2 eggs
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. bread flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. chopped semisweet chocolate (I used 1 c. semisweet chocolate chips)
1/2 c. finely chopped milk chocolate (I used 1 c. chopped Hershey's kisses)

Beat the butter and sugars until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until thoroughly combined.

Mix together the flours, baking soda, and salt. Add both chocolates to the flour mix and toss to combine. Slowly blend the flour-chocolate mixture into the butter-sugar mixture. Mix until the flour and chocolate are totally incorporated and the dough is completely mixed.

For best results, scrape dough into a container and let rest in the refrigerator for a day before baking. The next day, heat the oven to 350F and position a rack in the center of the oven. Drop the dough in 1/4-cup balls onto a baking sheet about two inches apart. Press dough balls down slightly with the palm of your hand. Bake until cookies are golden brown on the edges and slightly soft in the center, 15-18 min (I used about 2 Tbsp. dough for each cookie and baked them for 12 min.). Remove from oven and let cool.

This recipe is linked to:
A Little Birdie Told Me
Tuesday Night Supper Club
Made it on Monday
Whisking Wednesday
Recipes I Can't Wait to Try
These Chicks Cooked
Full Plate Thursday
CCC Round-Up

28 comments:

  1. I love chewy cookies! These just look so delicious. A great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem is that if I left a bowl of cookie dough in the fridge for 24 hours, there would be no dough left for baking cookies. My family all has a weakness for cookie dough (even with the risk involved).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, these look fabulous - the best looking CCC so far in your search for the perfect CCC. :) Interesting about the 24 hour wait time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lisa,

    Love the recipe!

    This is the Appliances Online Fairy Hobmother, you made a wish on the dinnerdujour.org blog, and I would love to make it come true :-)

    Let me know how I can contact you, I can be found on Twitter @mrdavidingram

    Thanks

    David

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have a cookie recipe that pushed it's self to the front of the pack. Those are some rave reviews. They sound delicious. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these crisp and uneven crusted cookies! Chocolate chips peeping through is tempting me to bake some right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. you sounded them sooo good! addictive!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just checked out Flour from my library and was looking through the recipes. This is one of the ones I wanted to try out. I'm so glad you liked it. Now I can't wait to make them myself :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum...these remind me of Jacques Torres' recipe....I'll have to give these a shot, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I totally love Joanne Chang and love Flour, so I bet these are awesome :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  11. I CAN NOT wait to make this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your blog! its so cute!! these look so yummy!! I am excited to try these.. Here is my blog also if you would like to follow me back. I am new to this, but I am excited to share my ideas on the love of food.. Also I will be giving away free stuff like my mineral make-up line. so take a look.. And watch out for it. :)
    -Brooke
    For-The-Luv-Of.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, those sound good, but I don't know if I could wait the 24 hrs to make them:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like these are a winner! Definitely want to make them now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those do look insanely delicious, I think I might have to try this recipe out :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look like the perfect cookie to me. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cookies looks delish! Making me want one right now. Btw Lisa, I've linked you in my latest post. Do check it out.. Cheers! Jo

    http://chicgorgeous.blogspot.com/2011/06/robins-egg-blue-wedding-white-chocolate.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just posted about my own CCC experiments in my new ovens... but I think they might need a rematch with this recipe. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those look completely awesome. I'm going to try them next time. They're thicker than the others have been. I wonder if the wait time contributes to that. Or the bread flour...Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Joanne Chang!! Totally one of my idols! Flour's cookies are always absolutely amazing. Have you ever tried America's Test Kitchen's chocolate chip cookies? also delicous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks delish. Cookies often spread at my high altitude, looks like this just may be a recipe I need to try. Can one have too many choco chip cookie recipes. Never!
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lisa,
    Awesome Chocolate Chip Cookies, they just look delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  23. you are killing me...these look amazing...my mouth is watering. i just went a grabbed a handful of chocolate chips to try and satiate my craving. now i have to go to the kitchen and whip up a batch! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for linking up to “A Little Birdie Told Me…” at Rook No. 17 last week! I apologize for the belated visit…this week has been a real beast disguised in fondant and frosting.

    Thick and chewy, with crisp edges -- Ahhh... sounds like the ultimate cookie to me! Love the trick about using the bread flour, and agree that the touch of vanilla was a must!

    Jenn

    P.S. Are you on Twitter?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I must try these Lisa! I have read through each and every chocolate chip cookie post in the last ten minutes and am hanging on the "winner" announcement. When will that be?

    ReplyDelete
  26. You may have noticed this, but what I find interesting about Joanne's dough recipe is that it is similar to Nestle's basic recipe other than using bread vs ap flour and some milk chocolate. It has less salt than Nestle's and I don't think Nestles is too salty plus salt brings out the flavor. I'm sure you are sick of cookies now. When you are well again ;) I made up my own recipe based on Joanne's, Cookie Madness, and a few others. You can see it here if interested. http://bakingribbons.blogspot.com/2011/05/sea-salt-chocolate-chip-pecan-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete