Thursday, June 2, 2011

"Baked" Chocolate Chip Cookies


Next up: Chocolate Chip Cookies from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking.

In terms of ingredients, the recipe uses twice as much brown sugar as white sugar which consequently results in a softer cookie due to the moisture in the brown sugar. You are also told to chill the dough in the fridge for at least 6 hours, presumably so that the flavors can meld and deepen.

After chilling, I found that the dough was still really sticky so I had to work fast to form it into balls and get it onto the cookie sheet. Once it was in the oven, I then noticed that the dough spread a LOT, so make sure you leave enough space between each dough ball. Otherwise, they'll start to meld together like The Blob.

Once baked, the cookies had crispy edges and chewy middles. They were also very flat, but from what I've seen on other blogs, this is usually how they turn out.

While they had a nice texture, they were too flat for my liking. I prefer cookies that are a little thicker and denser. In addition, that caramelly taste that I desire in my cookies just wasn't there.

So, the search continues.

"Baked" Chocolate Chip Cookies (from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking)

2 1/4 c. flour
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2 2/3 c. semisweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.

Beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, at least 3 min. Scrape down the bowl and add in the eggs, one at a time, until completely incorporated. The mixture will look light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and beat in for 5 seconds.

Add in half of the flour, mix for 15 seconds, then add in the rest of the flour gradually until just moistened. Fold in the chocolate chips with a wooden spoon. Cover the bowl tightly and chill in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.

Preheat the oven to 375F. Line and/or grease two baking sheets. Roll the dough into a ball the size of 2 Tbsps. Place them on the baking sheets about 1 inch apart, and press down just slightly with your palm (I found that this step wasn't necessary). Bake for 12-14 min. (I baked mine for 15 min.) until the edges of the cookies are golden brown and the tops just start to darken.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 min. Then, remove to another surface to finish cooling.

*I found this recipe on the Crepes of Wrath blog.

Great CCC Quest of 2011:
Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies

This recipe is linked to:
Themed Bakers' Sunday
My Meatless Monday
Midnight Maniac's Meatless Monday
CCC Round-Up

19 comments:

  1. You've been eating (or giving away!) a lot of chocolate chip cookies! My gang would eat these, but I think they'd prefer a thicker cookie, too.

    I hope Jacques Torres' cookie is on your list to try...those and the Cooks Illustrated cookie with the extra egg yolk are two of our favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I host a blog hop and I'd LOVE if you came over and shared a recipe! Here's the link :) http://thesweetdetail.blogspot.com/search/label/Savory%20Sunday

    i got a new blog url :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you didn't love these......these cookies have been an absolute hit in our house! Looking at the recipe in the book, they say to leave the balls, and not flatten them....don't know if that would have helped with the spreading. Also, I've frozen the dough balls and then baked those and they've come out perfectly. Can't wait to see what ends up being your favorite. I think I'm going to do this during the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am following your chocolate chip cookies carefully. Last night, I made America's Test Kitchen chocolate chip cookies. Blogged it, this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look good but I think I'm with you...not a huge fan of flat cookies.

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...interesting! I can't wait to read more of your findings :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad these weren't the winner. I hope you find the ultimate recipe. I will be trying it if you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this project! I can't imagine all the chocolate chip cookies you will have in the house by the end of it! Are you looking for any recipes? I have the world's best CCC recipe.... no kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I might try this recipe later. I was thinking of using a cookie scoop to scoop the dough to put onto a cookie sheet and THEN refrigerate. I will let you know how that turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed. I prefer a thicker CCC too. I'm not a fan of the flat ones. I hope they tasted good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wondered of the recipes that are supposedly from famous bakeries really are. In any case, I agree with you -- I prefer cookies that aren't very flat. But if they were on the table in front of me, I'd certainly grab one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look yummy! My kids and hubby like a flat choc chip cookie. I am like you, though; I like a thicker chewier cookie:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure how they taste, but they look good. I don't think there is such a thing a a bad CCC.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like dense cookies too :), but they still look good! Have a fabulous weekend!! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am loving this CCC quest you're on! Can't wait to see more recipes. - Cares

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made these cookies but mine didn't turn out flat. I found 375 to be too high of a temp and while my cookie dough held it shape it browned the sides a little too much. Still a great tasting recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quest continues...these look great! I had a chocolate chip cookie recipe that called for a box of vanilla pudding in the dough. It made my favorite chocolate chip cookie ever! If I find the recipe, I'll send it to you to try out. Thanks for sharing these on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to see more cookies! I love mine with texture too, but I don't see myself turning away any kind of chocolate chip cookie :) Thanks for linking this to Fat Camp Friday, see you next time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too much butter creates a flat cookie.

    ReplyDelete