Monday, September 26, 2011

Sweet Cherry Wheat Rolls


I think I've found a new love - baking bread. Not only is bread pure comfort food to me, but there's something about the making of it that's comforting as well. The constant rhythm as you knead it, the warmth in your kitchen as the loaves bake, and that yeasty aroma that surrounds you and is better than any perfume in my opinion. Consequently, I've been baking bread once a week. I search through countless blogs, looking for that one recipe that will catch my eye and tantalize my tastebuds. White bread, as good as it is, just won't do. No, I need something with a bit of a twist to it.

This time, I found myself browsing through Monet's blog, Anecdotes and Apple Cores. She has so many wonderful bread recipes, all of her own creation (talk about talent), and she accompanies each recipe with a beautiful story about her life. Her blog never fails to nourish you in more ways than one.



I chose to make her Sweet Cherry Wheat Rolls since I had some dried cherries on hand and I love the idea of having bits of fruit bursting with sweetness in every bite. The only change I made was to add some dried blueberries as well.

The finished rolls were HUGE!!! Each one was super soft and fluffy to the max. They were oh so good straight from the oven. The only thing I'd change next time is to add more fruit (because I can never have too much fruit). But, otherwise, one bite and I just wanted to keep eating more and more. I've heard of wedded bliss before . . . this was true bread-ed bliss.


Sweet Cherry Wheat Rolls (adapted from Anecdotes and Apple Cores)

1/2 c. warm water
1/2 c. milk
1 pkg. active dry yeast
2 Tbsp. honey
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter (softened to room temperature)
3 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/3 c. dried cherries (I increased this to 1/2 cup)
1/3 c. dried blueberries (I added this)

In a small bowl, activate your yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water and 1 tsp. of sugar. Wait until yeast is foamy (about 10 min.).

Combine your milk, honey, egg, sugar, butter, and yeast mixture. Stir until mixed. Stir in flour gradually until the dough no longer sticks to the side of the bowl. Knead in the cherries and blueberries and continue kneading for 8 min. until a smooth and elastic dough forms.

Place your dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to rise for 1 hour.

Punch down the dough, divide into sixteen equal pieces, shape into rolls and allow to rise again on a parchment lined cookie sheet (about 40 min.).

Bake at 350F for 15-20 min. or until just lightly golden. Remove to rack to cool slightly before serving.

13 comments:

  1. This sounds very yummy.I like verything that involves fruit;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so great - and the cherries were a wonderful idea! Delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on a bread-making kick lately too and think I'll need to add this one to the top of my list. They look and sound great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! This sounds so delicious. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa - these look and sound wonderful. I agree - there is something amazing about making bread...stress relieving somehow. Thanks for sharing this - you're quite the little bread baker! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love making bread...probably because I love eating it so much. These look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great looking sweet roll recipe. I know my family would love these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love bread fresh out of the oven. :) These rolls look so fluffy and delicious- they're making me want to bake some right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an excellent change-up from ordinary old rolls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a recipe I will have to try. The fruit just sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, these look and sound wonderful. I fully agree with you, there is something amazing about making bread. I really enjoyed to make it soon in strawberry flavor.

    ReplyDelete