Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Chocolate Mint Crackle Cookies


I think one of the best parts about blogging is that it gives you the opportunity to be introduced to so many other amazing and delicious food blogs. In my opinion, it's better than a library of cookbooks because you have a real live person telling you about the recipes, whether it was good or bad, what problems they ran into, and they provide you with stunning pictures so you can see exactly what you're supposed to end up with. That just can't be beat.

One of the newest blogs I just discovered was Crumb, simply named but full of mouthwatering recipes and accompanying beautiful posts. The recipe that caught my eye this time around was her Chocolate Mint Crackle Cookies. What with my sister coming to visit, and her love of all things chocolate, I just knew I had to make these for her.


As you can see, there is just one lone cookie remaining. They were so yummy, wonderfully chocolaty with that cool hint of mint, and delightfully chewy. My sister loved them so much that she started packing up the entire batch to take back with her. At that moment, I had to quickly say, "Wait, leave me ONE cookie. I need to take a picture of it!!!" As for the rest of the cookies, I suspect they'll be eaten up in no time at all.

Chocolate Mint Crackle Cookies (Crumb)

1 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. butter, slightly softened
2 eggs, beaten lightly
1 tsp. peppermint extract
1/4 c. powdered sugar

In a large metal mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Using fingers, rub in the butter until evenly distributed throughout. Add eggs and peppermint extract, and stir until a thick dough comes together. Chill dough in the refrigerator until firm, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a spoon or a melon baller, scoop out teaspoon-sized balls of dough. Pour the icing sugar into a small mixing bowl and add the dough balls, 2-3 at a time, rolling around to coat evenly with sugar.
Arrange the icing-sugar coated balls 2″ apart on the prepared baking sheets and bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until cookies are just set and have evenly crackled tops.

10 comments:

  1. These cookies look so delicious. Mint flavor makes me giddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! They look and sound great!!! I'm not a big fan of chocolate except when mint is involved and I know if I made these, I'd eat every last one! So it's easy to see why your sis wasted no time in packing them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great chocolate crackle cookies recipe to me.

    You are absolutely right with "Crumb". That's a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely gift for your sister! I'd be so happy to have a sister like you :D The cookies look absolutely yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lisa, that is just too funny! Only one cookie left for the photo. That is the way it often is at our house too - quick a photo before it is all gone and sometimes it just doesn't happen! Come join my giveaway for a Williams Sonoma Copper Soup Pot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you and your sister liked this recipe, Lisa! And thanks for the sweet words about my blog, too.
    I always make a batch of these cookies around Christmas as a holiday treat... they're so addictive that I'm afraid to make them on other occasions, because I'd never stop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love chocolate and mint! One of my boys loves this combination as well- he'd love a care package with these in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious! Love chocolate crackle cookies but adding mint is a wonderful idea :)!

    ReplyDelete