Thursday, September 29, 2011

Honey Ginger Chai Bars - 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies



What!!! Christmas already??? Okay, maybe not yet, but that doesn't mean we can't start baking Christmas cookies, right? After all, the season is short enough as it is, might as well draw it out.



Yup, it's time once again for the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies. I had the pleasure of joining this group last year and had so much fun. Not to mention, I made so many new blogger friends and got recipe ideas galore. So, when I received an e-mail from Brenda, of Meal Planning Magic, saying that she was hosting it this year, I jumped at the chance to bake along with everyone once again.


For my first pick, I chose a spice cookie. Yeah, big surprise there considering my love affair with all things spicy. In fact, I'm quite tempted to make every weekly cookie post about a different spice cookie (there's that many that I want to try).

These Honey Ginger Bars were so good. They were almost like a blondie, dense and chewy, and with lovely spiciness in every bite. The icing really took it to the top and I could definitely see sprinkling this with a little candied ginger for an extra punch. The only change I would make is to add more black and white pepper next time, but that's just my personal preference. They're delicious either way.



So, what are you waiting for? Crank up that Christmas music, make some yummy cookies, and get this season started. If you want to join in too, just drop a line to Brenda and she'll send you all the info. Hope you'll bake along.


Chai Bars with Honey Ginger Icing (from Brooklyn Limestone)

1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1 c. butter, softened
1 egg
2 c. flour
1 pinch salt
1 1/2 tsp. ginger powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. cloves
3/4 tsp. cardamom
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground star anise (I used white pepper instead)

Mix butter and sugars in a mixing bowl until thoroughly combined. Add egg and mix well. Add flour, spices, and salt, and stir until the mixture is thoroughly combined. Press into a 9x12 baking pan that has been greased and floured and smooth with a spatula until the dough is even and flat. Bake at 350F for 20-25 min. until the cookies are a pale golden brown. Let cool.

For the icing:

2 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. ginger powder
1 c. powdered sugar

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and add water until the icing is at a spreadable consistency, and spread over the cookies. Cut into squares.


21 comments:

  1. I am so excited to see this festive post! I can't wait to see what Christmas treats you come up with!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re #33 - If you like spices you'll love these moist apple cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look beyond incredible! I'm happy to be baking along with you again this year - can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Honey and ginger sound like an amazing combination! These bars look rocking. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow 12 weeks already huh? These look so yummy, I love a good spice cookie around the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look wonderful! I can't believe it's time for 12 weeks of Christmas cookies again! I lost track of time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh those look LOVELY!!!!!
    I'm making a list- checking it twice!! some might call me naughty- but I already see what looks nice!!!
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I almost choked when I read "CHRISTMAS" !!! It's way too early for me! But not too early to try these great looking bars! Interesting flavor combination for a 'cookie'

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of this particular blog hop before, but I love it! And those spice cookies look terrific - perfect for fall (and, well, Christmas of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, these sound incredible! I'm loving chai right now and will totally have to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great flavor combination! So happy to be joining you again on 12 weeks of Christmas cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so lovely.. I certainly have to try it sometime.. YUMMY!!.. I would LOVE for you to link it up to my fall crawl blog party.. I'm officially following ya with smiles - I found ya on linky..GREAT blog with Lots of inspirations here :)) - the link to link up is http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/09/fall-crawl-day-12-blog-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa, its so great to be baking along with you again this year. These cookies sound really good. I love the idea of trying out cookies with a different spice each week. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those bars sound tasty. Ready or not--get your jingle bells on--1 week down. ;) Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These do look very tasty! I am really excited to be baking along with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look wonderful!Really this is very nice collection..these all pics is looking very nice..beautiful post..thanks for sharing here..
    Sports Good

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, these sound heavenly! Love anything with chai flavor-pure Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL! I LOVE it that you're already doing your Christmas baking. And I agree - there are so many great things to eat for that season, why not draw it out a little? Your recipe looks great - love the spiciness. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love spicy cookies! These look incredible...I love the honey ginger icing! :)

    ReplyDelete