Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Honey Yogurt Bread


Do you ever find yourself craving bread? At times like that, sweets just won't cut it for me. I need carbs, lots of them.

This bread is just the thing to satisfy that craving. It's not sweet at all, even with the honey in it, and it is so soft and so chewy, almost reminiscent of a potato bread. There's just nothing like it when you remove it from the oven with its crackly crust, tear off a hunk, spread it with butter, take a warm bite, and ooohhhhhh.


I made the bread into mini loaves, but I know without a doubt that it would be awesome made into dinner rolls. This bread recipe is going into my "favorites" list for sure.

Honey Yogurt Bread (adapted from I Like Lemons)

1 1/2 Tbsp. honey (I doubled it to 3 Tbsp.)
1/2 c. warm water (110F)
1 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 c. plain yogurt (I used nonfat Greek yogurt)
1 1/2 tsp. salt (I decreased this to 1 tsp. salt)
3 c. all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, combine warm water and 1/2 Tbsp. honey. Add the yeast and let sit for 5 min. until foamy.

Stir in 1 cup of flour and mix well. Allow to sit for 5 min. so that the flour can absorb the liquid. Then, add in the remaining honey, yogurt, and salt. (Note: It will look like a lump of dough and it'll be a little difficult to beat the yogurt into it. Just beat it with all your might and the dough will even out into a thick, smooth batter.) Add the rest of the flour a half cup at a time until the dough no longer sticks to the side of the bowl (I used about 1 cup of flour).

Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for 8-10 min. (During the process, I kneaded in about 1/2 cup more of flour.) You'll know you've kneaded it enough when it passes the windowpane test.

Lightly grease a clean bowl with oil. Place dough in bowl, turning to coat the surface with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Turn risen dough onto a floured surface and knead for about a minute to remove air bubbles. Form dough into a ball and allow to rest, covered for 15 min. (Note: I missed this step but the bread still turned out great.) Grease two mini loaf pans.

Divide the dough in half and roll or pat each one into about a 9x7 inch rectangle. Starting at the shorter edge, tightly roll dough up, jelly roll style, pressing the seam and the ends well to seal. Place loaves seam side down in the prepared pans. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled, about 1-1 1/2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 400F. Slash the top of each loaf lengthwise. Bake for 20-25 min., until loaves are golden brown. Remove from pans and allow to cool on wire racks.

15 comments:

  1. Great to know this recipe is a keeper for you. This bread looks very delicious to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, looks good-and you're right--sometimes we NEED carbs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yogurt in a bread...sign me up! I make homemade yogurt every week and I can't wait to try it in this bread:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love a good slice of bread and this looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so beyond delicious. If I was on a dessert island and I could only have one thing. It would be bread!. This bread. Yum. Come over and visit us. We have a wonderful apple salad today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Instantly made me crave homemade bread. I would love to slather this with cinnamon butter and surprise my guy with a loaf of this with dinner. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful looking bread! I am wondering what the 'windowpane test' is??? I love making bread at home and have tried many recipes - yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a serious carb craving, and this sounds delicious! I love homemade bread- it makes the house smell so good. I bet the yogurt and honey in this make it a special loaf. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love bread too. I can eat a whole loaf all by myself. I'm always looking for new ones to try and I'll have to give this one a go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gracious me! I'm going to go to bed tonight with the picture of this bread on my mind. OH YUM! I love homemade bread and just reviewed a recipe for oatmeal bread this evening...if it wouldn't have been so late when I read it, I surely would have made it. So glad you shared this....love homemade bread toasted. MMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bread really rise up nicely. I'm totally a carb person and I mean LOTS of carbs! :P They are just plain satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Dorothy! However, I'm trying to lose the 20 pounds I've picked up over this last year without Kelly. Delicious combination.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this! I just made it today and love my freshly-baked bread. Yum!

    ReplyDelete