Thursday, May 24, 2012

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups


In my family, we all like mint chocolate chip ice cream. Although, for some reason or other, when I was younger, I didn't like the bits of chocolate and would only eat the ice cream around them. Silly, I know. I've long since gotten over that. But, remembering those bowlfuls of mint chocolate chip ice cream gave me an idea to make some mint chocolate chip filled cookie cups.


I started off by making a chocolate dough for the cups. Originally, I was going to use a recipe that I found on the Internet, but through a series of mistakes (i.e. writing the recipe down wrong and then making them the way I wrote it) and ideas on how to change the recipe up, I ended by creating my very own chocolate cookie recipe. And I am thrilled that it turned out so well. The chocolate cookie cups themselves are not overly sweet which not only allows the deep chocolate flavor to shine but also makes them ideal for pairing with a sugary icing. As a note, the amount of butter in the recipe can be changed. Using 12 Tbsp. gives you a denser cookie, almost like a biscotti after the first baking. If you increase the amount of butter to 1 cup, you get a softer cookie. Both ways work out totally fine. I actually preferred using less butter, but it's up to you.


Then, you fill them with a cool, minty icing dotted with mini chocolate chips and they look just like those bowlfuls of ice cream I remember from my childhood. As much as I loved those Chocolate PB Fudge Filled Banana Cookie Cups I posted the other day, I'm gonna have to say that these are now my favorite. I think my mint chocolate chip loving family would approve.


Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups (created by Sweet as Sugar Cookies)

12 Tbsp. salted butter, at room temperature (if using unsalted, add 3/8 tsp. salt)
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. + 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2/3 c. cocoa powder
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda

Mint Chocolate Chip Filling:

6 Tbsp. butter, softened
2 1/4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 - 3/4 tsp. mint extract (or according to taste)
6 Tbsp. mini semisweet chocolate chips
green food coloring (optional)

melted semisweet chocolate (for drizzling)

For the cookie cups:

Cream the butter with the sugars. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well. Mix in the cocoa powder. Add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda and mix to combine.

Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease mini muffin tins. Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full with the dough. Bake for 10 min. or until a toothpick comes out clean. If the cookie cups have risen above the muffin cups, simply use a spoon to flatten them down so they are level with the muffin cups.

While still warm, make a well in the center of each cookie cup with a small spoon or your finger. Chill the muffin tins in the fridge for 30-60 min. before removing the cookie cups.

For the mint chocolate chip frosting:

Beat the butter with the powdered sugar until soft and fluffy. Stir in the mint extract until it suits your taste. Stir in the mini chocolate chips.

For assembly:

When the cookie cups have cooled, remove from the muffin tins. Pipe the frosting into each cookie cup. Drizzle with melted dark chocolate and set in the fridge to let the chocolate set.

Makes approximately 32-36 cookie cups

Note: The amount of butter in the recipe can be changed. Using 12 Tbsp. gives you a denser cookie, almost like a biscotti after the first baking. If you increase the amount of butter to 1 cup, you get a softer cookie. Both ways work out totally fine.

9 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious! Mint and chocolate is one of my FAVORITE combinations, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious ! Wonderful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this might win as a favorite here, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I just thought of something--another favorite chocolate combo--you need to do something with chocolate and raspberry with these. I'll be waiting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are one of my favorites so far! I absolutely love the chocolate and mint combo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live mint & chocolate. Is there a certain brand of mint extract you recommend? Any other yummy uses for it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look amazingly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like mint and chocolate very much. So... I like your cups! I will make their:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made these for my best's baby shower - followed the cookie base with 1 cup of butter, the cookies were crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, and filled with dark chocolate ganache. They were a hit and I will definitely make again. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete