Monday, May 7, 2012

Giant Orange Cranberry Cookie - SRC


For this month's Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned to Jaida's blog, Sweet Beginnings. Not too long ago, she was assigned to my blog, so I was thrilled to have the chance to reciprocate. Although she has a lot of savory recipes, I'm sure you know what I gravitated towards - the SWEETS!!!


Since I had a ton of orange zest and juice cubes in my freezer, I decided to make her Orange Cranberry Cookies. I did make several changes to the recipe. I increased the amount of orange zest since I like a lot of orange-y flavor. Then, I decreased the amount of cranberries. I also omitted the white chocolate chips from the dough and opted instead for melting some white chocolate and drizzling it on top after baking it. Finally, since I know my oven has a tendency to flatten cookies, I decided to put all the dough into a round pan and bake it up as one giant cookie (no flattening now!).


The giant cookie turned out lovely and putting it into a pan proved to be a good call. I'm also glad that I upped the amount of zest because then I could really taste the orange flavor. Thanks so much Jaida for making this SRC a sweet one!

Giant Orange Cranberry Cookie (adapted from Sweet Beginnings)

1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 Tbsp. orange zest
1 Tbsp. orange juice
2 Tbsp. egg
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. dried cranberries
melted white chocolate, for drizzling

Heat oven to 350F. Line a 9-inch round cake pan with foil and butter the foil. Cream the butter with the sugars. Add the orange zest, juice, and egg. Slowly mix in flour, baking soda, and salt until well combined. Stir in the cranberries.

Spread the dough evenly in the prepared pan. Bake for 35 min. or until a toothpick comes out clean. When cooled, drizzle with melted white chocolate.



11 comments:

  1. Great idea making these into one large cookie! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at "giant cookie"! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing better than a HUGE cookie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One ginormous cookie with some of my favourite flavours on it! Nice choice for the SRC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking this would make a fabulous birthday cookie, with white chocolate "happy birthday" instead of criss-crosses. Fabulous pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a giant cookie... how fun! looks amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Smart to make one giant cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm! Nice big cookie, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM. Love the idea of a giant cookie, super yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Orange and cranberry are so natural together, and everyone loves the oooh-ahhh of a giant cookie!

    ReplyDelete