Friday, May 25, 2012

Double Cookies n' Cream Cookie Cups


Believe it or not, I did not like Oreo cookies when I was a kid. Oh I liked the cream well enough, but somehow the taste of the cookie parts threw me off. So, I'd use a knife to scrape the cream out of the cookies and eat that, leaving a pile of bare cookies behind. Now, you're probably wondering what happened to those leftovers. Well, my younger sister liked Oreo cookies and, being too young to know any better back then, I'd give her the parts I didn't want and she'd eat them.

A lot has changed since then. My sister wizened up and refused to eat my throw-aways. And, I gained a newfound love for Oreo cookies as is evident by the fact that cookies and cream is now my favorite ice cream flavor of all time and I've also been waiting for weeks for Oreos to come on sale just so I could put them into some cookies. But, why make regular cookies when you can make cookie cups, right? Which is exactly what I did.


I used my chocolate cookie recipe, added some chopped Oreos, and then filled them with an Oreo cream cheese frosting for double cookies and cream deliciousness. And while I can't say that gray icing is the most visually appealing thing on this earth, it nevertheless makes for some very good eating. So, just close your eyes, take a bite, and enjoy cause these cookie cups are "the bomb"!

Double Cookies and Cream Cookie Cups (created by Sweet as Sugar Cookies)

1 c. salted butter, at room temperature (if using unsalted, add 1/2 tsp. salt)
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. + 2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2/3 c. cocoa powder
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
12 finely chopped Oreo cookies

Cookies and Cream Frosting:

4 oz. cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 less fat)
2 Tbsp. butter, at room temperature
1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. finely ground Oreo cookies
1/4 tsp. vanilla

For the cookie cups:

Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Add the cocoa powder and mix well to combine. Add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir in the chopped Oreos.

Grease mini muffin tins and preheat oven to 350F. Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full with the dough. Bake for 10 min. until a toothpick comes out clean.

After baking, use a small spoon or your finger to make a deep dent in the center of each cookie cup while they're still warm. Chill the tins in the fridge for at least 30-60 min. before removing the cookies.

For the frosting:

Beat the cream cheese with the butter until it is smooth. Beat in the powdered sugar until the frosting is light and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla and crushed Oreos.

For the assembly:

After the cookies are chilled, pipe in the cookies n' cream frosting. If desired, you can sprinkle them with more crushed Oreos. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.

Note: The chocolate cookies in this recipe are not too sweet on their own, so the deep chocolatey flavor really comes through. It also makes them ideal for pairing with a sweet frosting without making the sweetness too overwhelming.

7 comments:

  1. I've been on the lookout for a cookies n cream frosting! Bookmarked and pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cookie cups rock! Have you ever tried a S'Mores cookie cup?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These looks out of this world amazing! Can't wait to give them a try :) Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely !! Am going to make this really soon !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the QUEEN of cookie cups!

    ReplyDelete