Thursday, December 8, 2011

Crackly Topped Spice Cookies


Have you ever heard of Anna's blog, "Cookie Madness"? It is full of treats of all kinds - cakes, pies, and of course, cookies. I've been reading her blog for some time now. In fact, one of the recipes on her site, for the Ultimate Stand Mixer Chocolate Chip Cookies, made my fave list when I went on a search for the best CCC of them all. So, I figured that it was very likely that I might find THE ginger cookie recipe on her site.

After perusing through a bunch of recipes, I settled on the Crackly Top Spice Cookies. Judging from the recipe, these cookies would be anything but mild. They have a whole tablespoonful of ginger powder AND cinnamon in them plus cloves, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper to bring the heat. Sounds like my kind of cookie.


Mine didn't come out with the crackly tops, but appearance is not the most important thing. They were super chewy which is just how I like them. Then, as to their taste. With the first bite straight from the oven, I was speechless. It's like I could taste all the different spices individually as well as blended together into one lovely harmony. Then, there was just the tiniest bit of heat at the back of my throat from the cayenne pepper. It was surreal. I have no doubt that these would be absolutely sensational drizzled with a little melted white chocolate.

Looks like this is the frontrunner for now.

Crackly Top Spice Cookies
(from Cookie Madness)

2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. ginger powder
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 c. + 2 Tbsp. shortening (I used margarine)
1 c. sugar
1 large egg
1/4 c. mild molasses (Grandma's)

First, mix together all the dry ingredients - flour through nutmeg. Set aside.

Beat together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and molasses and mix well.

Stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture. Cover the dough and chill for an hour or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 375F. Shape dough into one inch balls. Roll dough in crystal or coarse sugar. Place 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 min. or until the cookies are crackly looking and crispy around the edges.

Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies

13 comments:

  1. Cinnamon bun marshmallows? Those sound AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A chewy, spicy cookie is my favorite! These rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, you had me at crackly top! :) Thanks for your comment on yummy mummy. I'm happy to be following your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm....these sound fabulous! So full of spice. I'd probably have to leave out the cayenne for the kids, but I'd eat them as written....mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the spices in these sound amazing! And they look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look so good and I love all the spices in this recipe. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love ginger cookies! You are killing me with all these recipes. I'm going to have to try at least the most intriguing ones to me. My family may get sick of ginger (but I know I won't) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for hosting! I'm a newbie blogger and I've linked up one of my first recipes. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It doesn't matter about appearance, I'm sure these taste amazing! Would go lovely with my cup of tea right now, I really like spices and I agree a drizzle of white chocoalate would do just the trick :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, the margarine might be what's killing your appearance. It always makes my cookie texture, flavor, and appearance slightly wonky and for that reason I try to avoid it and use butter or shortening for cookies.

    ReplyDelete