Monday, December 5, 2011

Aunt Helen's Gingersnaps


No, I don't have an Aunt Helen. Rather, this recipe came from a book I read called, "Fleece Navidad" in which one of the characters has an Aunt Helen who supposedly makes really good gingersnaps.

The recipe calls for more ginger powder than most recipes and has some cinnamon in it as well. It also uses dark brown sugar to add to the rich molasses flavor.


My finished cookies weren't very thick, but at least they weren't super flat. Since they were thicker than Alton's cookies, this meant that they also had a softer chew which I liked. Plus, they had a nice spicy flavor too which will probably deepen over the next couple of days (if they last that long before getting eaten).

After tasting these, I agree with the character in the book. Aunt Helen does make good gingersnaps.


Aunt Helen's Gingersnaps (from Fleece Navidad)

2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 c. packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 c. molasses
1/4 - 1/2 c. white sugar, for rolling (I used turbinado sugar)

Heat oven to 350F. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a small mixing bowl. Cream butter and brown sugar together in a medium bowl, mixing well. Add the molasses and mix until blended. Add in the flour mixture.

Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 15 min. Then take out and roll into 1 1/4-inch balls. Roll balls in sugar and place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake just until puffed and cookies look dry - anywhere from 9-14 min. Do not over-bake or cookies will become hard. Carefully remove with metal spatula to wire rack to cool.

Makes approximately 32-40 cookies

14 comments:

  1. great recipe
    I'm gonna try it and I hopeI don't get fat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really nice! What a smart idea to use turbinado sugar for rolling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginger Snaps are one of my all-time favorites. I love how sparkly yours are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look yummy! I love the little sparkle of sugar on the outside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You caught my attention with the extra ginger! The more zingier, the better! These look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am certainly enjoying your gingersnap recipes and can't wait for you to announce you winner! I love the name "Fleece Navidad."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha sounds like a cute book! The cookies look lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story! Can't wait to see all the spice cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa! These cookies look so good. Thank you for sharing yet another soul-satisfying recipe. I'm just about to pull out a loaf of banana bread and sit down to a cup of tea. I hope you are having a lovely evening too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love ginger cookies! these look fabulous and your's story is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, these are one of my favorites! SO yummy, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So if I had to make one, would I make aunt helen's or altons?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, between theseand your mud puddles below, I'm in heaven. I never used to flip over gingersnaps, outside of using them in sauerbraten gravy. Yurs look delicious though..so sugary crisp! A must try!

    ReplyDelete