Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Triple Cinnamon Crunch Biscotti



Wow, it's already week three of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies. The past two weeks I shared recipes that featured the chai spices. This week, it's cinnamon front and center.



I started with Martha Stewart's biscotti recipe as a base then added cinnamon, crushed cinnamon cornflakes for crunch, and finished them off with a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar on both sides for one last cinnamony touch. The final biscotti were packed with flavor and would be perfect with a cup of hot spice tea. The only problem I had was that the cinnamon cornflakes didn't have as much crunch as I would have liked; maybe Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal would be better. I think once I've honed this one it will definitely make an appearance on my Christmas platters.


Triple Cinnamon Crunch Biscotti (created by Lisa of Sweet as Sugar Cookies)

3 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1 c. sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. crushed cinnamon cornflakes

Cinnamon sugar:
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon

Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix till well blended. Stir in the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in the crushed cornflakes.

Sprinkle some flour on a baking sheet. Form the dough into two 14x2 inch logs on the baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 20-25 min. Remove from the oven and slice immediately with a serrated knife into 1/2" thick slices. Lower the temperature to 325F. Lay the biscotti cut side down on the baking sheet and sprinkle the top side with half the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bake for 15 min. Flip the biscotti over, sprinkle with the rest of the cinnamon-sugar mixture, and bake for another 15 min. until crunchy.

9 comments:

  1. These look so good! I remember you making something last year with Cinnamon Cornflakes that looked yummy - you've definitely been able to use them to their best! Can't wait to see if you stick to your spice theme next week and what deliciousness you have in store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love biscotti. Love cinnamon. Love chocolate. Oh, wait, there's no chocolate. Just playing with you. But I definitely plan to make some biscotti this year.
    Did you not send your link to Brenda and/or add the linky at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look very tasty! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to get biscotti all the time and haven't had in years! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Biscotti and triple cinanamon! yes please;))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, at times, think I am addicted to cinnamon. This cookie is sure to be a great success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed out on 12 Weeks this round. Your Cinnamon Crunch Biscotti sounds good. I've only made Biscotti once and I really love the crunch which is saying a lot for someone who normally prefers soft, chewy and *underdone*! Good choice, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete