Thursday, October 27, 2011

Chili Chocolate Cookies


The idea of combining chocolate and chili pepper has always intrigued me. When I lived in Brazil, there was a very popular soap opera on tv called "Chocolate e Pimenta" (Chocolate and Chili Pepper). As a result of this, at least I'm guessing, there was a chocolate and chili pepper cake mix being sold in the grocery stores. Unfortunately, I forgot to buy a package of it and never did get to try it. Which brings me to today's 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies and these treats that combine, what else, chocolate and chili pepper.



The cookies baked up like little chocolate pillows, soft and cakey. Unfortunately, the taste wasn't everything I had hoped for. I would have liked them to be more chocolatey for one thing. Also, the tiny bit of heat at the back of my throat just doesn't suffice for someone like me who usually thinks that "five-alarm" is just right.


I haven't given up on the chocolate-chili combo, though. I'll just have to find another chocolate cookie to try it with.



Chili Chocolate Cookies (Splendid Things)

2 sticks butter
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground chili peppers

Cream butter and sugars. Mix in vanilla and eggs one at a time. In another bowl, combine cocoa, salt, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and chili pepper powder. Mix this flour mixture into the creamed mixture until just barely incorporated. You should still see some streaks of flour in the dough. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350F until just barely set, about 12-15 min. Allow to cool on pan for one minute and then remove to plate to cool completely.

Notes:
1. The original recipe did us a chopped up Chili Chocolate Bar, which I did not add. Perhaps if I did, the cookie might have been spicier.

2. I used New Mexico Ground chili peppers like Splendid Things did, but I'd probably use chipotle pepper with a dash of cayenne next time.


9 comments:

  1. I hope you find a combo you like! They sure look good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wondered about chocolate and chili as a combo, sounds interesting for sure! I love the idea of a spicy kick in a cookie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say you should add some chopped chocolate and Lindt makes a chili chocolate bar that is de-lish. That would bump up the chocolate and chili. Those look like they'd be good as whoopie pies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always been intrigued by the combo of sweet and spicy in a baked good. I've not yet been brave enough to try it but I bet my husband would like them! He loves anything with spice in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to try the chili-chocolate combination. I don't like a ton of heat, so these might be just right for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried the chocolate and chili combo before. It sounds intriguing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm I love the sound of these cookies. I made brownies with chili pepper in them not to long ago and they were awesome - so I think these would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the addition of chili...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting idea. Sorry it didn't work out the way you planned, though. Good luck with future versions!

    ReplyDelete