Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Chocolate Cardamom Zucchini Bread


Would you believe that I've never eaten zucchini bread before in my life? For some reason or other, we just never made it at our house. Pumpkin bread, banana bread, and even mango bread appeared on our kitchen table, but not a single zucchini bread. Well, I simply had to remedy that especially since I keep seeing one tempting blog picture after another and hearing everyone shout its praises. Plus, it didn't hurt that I had a couple bags of zucchini that I wanted to use up.

So, I got out my ingredients and went to work. Since I wasn't sure if I would like the taste of zucchini bread, I decided that I would go with a chocolate version of it. After all, you can't go wrong with chocolate. The recipe I chose also had cardamom in it, which I absolutely love. I couldn't wait to see how it would turn out.



I halved the recipe and it made enough for one mini loaf, just perfect for me. It baked up into one beautifully dark chocolaty bread that was so fudgy and so rich that you'd never even guess it was also chock full of healthy, nutritious zucchini. So go ahead and indulge and call this your serving of veggies for the day.

Chocolate Cardamom Zucchini Bread (adapted from Vanilla Basil)

2 eggs
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cardamom (this amount is appropriate if you freshly grind the cardamom - if not, go ahead and use 1 full teaspoon)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. flour
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. grated zucchini

Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease one large loaf pan or two mini loaf pans. Beat the eggs. Add the oil, sugars, and vanilla and mix well. Sift in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Toss in zucchini and stir to combine.

Pour into the pan(s) and bake 55-60 min. (large) or 40-45 min. (minis), or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 min. then run a knife around the edges and invert to remove. Let cool completely on a rack before slicing.

Note: You can also add chocolate chunks, macadamia nuts, and espresso powder to this like Vanilla Basil did, but I opted to leave them out.

11 comments:

  1. All the ingredients u used promise a moist tasty piece of yumminess;).I beleive you.I haven't eaten many things growing up and if you love food moving not only to another country but over the two continents is an ongoing food adventure;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bread sounds delicious with such lovely flavours. I have courgettes in the garden so I'd love to try out this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, looks absolutely fantastic!

    I just have to thank you for a wonderful blog, I go here to get inspired and have found loads of wonderful recipes I just have to try!

    This also means you have a follower from Sweden, yay ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds yummy! I love me a chocolate-zucchini anything. I'd love for you to share this on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm zucchini bread! I love the stuff :) The chocolate version sounds and looks so good, yum! I love cardamom too, sounds like a tasty bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so yummy. I can't wait to try it. I usually don't use cardamon, but I just bought a bottle yesterday for my Chai Pumpkin Cheesecake so I can't wait to try this recipe.

    Bibi @ Frugal Wannabe Cooks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made a zucchini bread last night (my mom's old recipe), but I feel like running out to buy more zucchini to try your recipe! Love the chocolate and cardamom combination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love baking with zucchini, it keeps the bread so moist. I've never heard of cardamom chocolate zucchini bread though, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you didn't have zucchini bread growing up, my guess would be you didn't have a home garden featuring zucchini. Those suckers grow like weeds and you have to put them in nearly everything to use them up! I love that about them, actually, because I love zucchini bread. This chocolate version looks especially tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow does that look fantastic. Almost like a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cardamom and chocolate! Fantastic.

    Sorry I haven't commented in so long! I have kind of fallen off the blogosphere this summer but, I still have been following and still love your recipes and will be a more devoted follower starting now!

    Thanks for always posting such awesome pieces :)
    -Meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete