Monday, October 17, 2011

Breadsticks




It was 8:00 one night and, although the past few nights had been cold, this particular night was quite warm. That gave me an idea and I thought, I just have to take advantage of the higher temperature. I'm going to bake some bread. Apparently, the fact that it wouldn't be done until almost 11pm didn't faze me. I wanted bread and by golly, I was going to have it.


But, I didn't feel like making a loaf. No, instead, I had breadsticks on the brain. I used a recipe I found on Our Best Bites and it did not disappoint. The breadsticks were perfectly chewy with a nice crust. They would probably be delicious dipped into some marinara sauce, or brushed with some garlic butter, or, Our Best Bites suggested also sprinkling them with cinnamon-sugar for a sweet treat. However way you make them, they're sure to please.

Breadsticks (Our Best Bites)

1 1/2 c. warm (105-115 degrees) water
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
3-4 1/2 c. flour

In a large bowl (the bowl of your mixer, if you have one), combine water, sugar, and yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes or until yeast is bubbly.

Add salt and stir. Add 1 1/2 c. flour and mix well. Gradually add more flour (usually between 3-4 cups, depending on your elevation and your humidity) until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and it barely sticks to your finger.

Spray a glass or metal bowl with cooking spray and place dough in the bowl. Cover and allow to rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.

Remove from bowl and place on a lightly-floured surface. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Roll into a rectangle and cut into 12 strips with a pizza cutter.

Roll out each piece of dough into a snake and then drape over your forefinger and twist the dough. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining 11 pieces of dough. Try to space them evenly, but it’s okay if they’re close; pulling apart hot bread is one of life’s greatest pleasures!

Cover pan and allow dough to rise for another 30 minutes.

When there’s about 15 minutes to go, preheat your oven to 425F. When done rising, bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

12 comments:

  1. My daughter would love these. I will be trying this recipe this week! Come over and visit. We have a pumpkin panna cotta recipe today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lisa - they look divine! You were certainly determined to make them so late at night...makes me chuckle to think of it. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing better than home made bread...Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Lisa! New fan here, and I just love your blog! These breadsticks were breakfast every morning for me at the bus stop growing up so I am sure they are fantastic.
    THanks,
    Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have bread cravings too. There is nothing better than homemade yeasty bread. Oh and the smell of homemade bread is out of this world! Great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Our Best Bites breadstick recipe! I posted it on my blog too, because I made them often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, this is almost exactly the recipe that I use! But before I bake them, I sprinkle them with garlic salt and parmesan cheese. Oh they're so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now this is a total weakness for me! They look so delicious! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look wonderful! I do them sometimes when I have leftover pizza dough...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa, these look just like the breadsticks my mom would serve my brother and I in the morning to bring to the bus stop. Such great memories ad even better taste. This brea is comfort and cozy at it's best!
    Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño

    ReplyDelete