Thursday, October 6, 2011

Chai Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


It's time for the second installment of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies. True to form, I bring you another spice cookie.


I used the chai spices once again, but this time in an oatmeal raisin cookie. The recipe comes from Amandeleine and it is awesome. The wonderful blend of spiciness shines through these cookies and the golden raisins I used melded really nicely with it. Plus, with all those oats in them, these cookies are super healthy which makes them the perfect treat for balancing out all the yummy indulging that goes on during the holidays.



Chai Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (adapted from Amandeleine)

2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 c. dark brown sugar (I used light brown sugar)
1/3 c. white sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda (I forgot to put this in)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cardamom
1 tsp. cinnamon (I increased this to 1 1/2 tsp.)
1/2 tsp. ginger powder (I increased this to 3/4 tsp.)
1 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper (I'd increase this next time)
1/4 tsp. white pepper
3 1/2 c. old fashioned oats
1 c. golden raisins

Cream together butter and sugars until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture in two additions, beating until just combined. Stir in oats and raisins.

Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop dough in rounded tablespoons onto baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 10-12 min.

Notes:
1. I completely forgot to add in the baking soda. The cookies still turned out deliciously chewy and yummy.

2. Amandeleine says that you can chill the dough before baking it. I omitted this step and they still baked up perfectly.

16 comments:

  1. mmm, you had me at chai. these sound and look so good. i think i'd use white choc chips instead of raisins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look yummy! I love the addition of the spices to a traditional oatmeal raisin cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those chai oatmeal cookies look amazing! I haven't tried making any chai recipes, but this one is compelling me to!

    Pinning on pinterest. :)

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just keep those spice cookies coming! They are undoubtedly my favorite holiday sweets! I LOVE cardamom in cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be so great on this crisp, autumn day with a nice cup of coffee. Can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Chai tea, and I love oatmeal cookies, so these sound heavenly to me! These are going on my must try list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I don't thoink I have ever even tasted chai anything. I am sure that I would love it, though! Cookies look great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like the perfect cookie. Chewy and with a hint of spice. I cannot wait to try this one. Come visit. We have an awesome waffle recipe today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried chai. Must remedy that. The cookies look good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to try this recipe. I think my husband would love these cookies with all the spices, and so would I:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely and healthy cookies! I don't think I've ever had chai either... I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisa, you won an award. Go to my latest post to find out more. :)
    http://carriesexperimentalkitchen.blogspot.com/2011/10/i-received-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chai spices scream winter for me. I bet these are really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love anything with Chai flavor- these cookies look delicious! I'm loving all of the holiday cookie posts here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. They're still in the oven, but the dough has turned out terrifically for me! Cardamom is my secret baking ingredient. I used more black pepper (and my pepper is pretty spicy), but I'd use even more next time. Then again, I like a kick.

    ReplyDelete