Monday, April 9, 2012

No-Rise Cinnamon Rolls - SRC


It turns out that Allison, from the blog, Alli N' Son was orphaned during this month's Secret Recipe Club. So, I volunteered with another blogger to step in and make something from her blog as well and it worked out great.

See, my family loves homemade cinnamon rolls. Don't get me wrong, I love them too. But, what I don't love is having to get up at 6am to start the process. Then, while the dough rises, I try to go back to sleep. But, because dough rises so fast in my warm kitchen, I only end up closing my eyes for 20 min. before I have to get back to work on it again. Meanwhile, my family is in sweet dreamland.


So, when I saw this recipe for NO-RISE Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls on Allison's site, you can bet I jumped on it. The only thing I wondered was, can it really be done? I was about to find out.

The dough is more like a biscuit dough since there's no yeast in it. I did run into a few mishaps trying to roll it out and then roll it up since it kept sticking to my surface no matter how much I floured it. But, I soldiered on and soon I had some mini cinnamon rolls all ready to go in the oven. I'll admit, a few burst open while baking (my fault), but the rest came out beautifully.


To my surprise, I actually liked the combo of chocolate and cinnamon in these rolls. The filling kind of reminded me of chocolate syrup (which is always a good thing) and the rolls were soft and melt in your mouth good. Will these replace my go-to cinnamon roll recipe? Probably not. But, if my family wants cinnamon rolls for breakfast and I want to sleep? You can bet I'm gonna make these.

Allison gets double the love today because Andrea from the blog, Adventures in All Things Food, also stepped up and volunteered to help out. She made an amazing looking Pineapple Fried Rice. You're gonna want to reach into your computer screen and pull the plate out when you see it. Yum!

No-Rise Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls (from Alli N' Son)

Chocolate-Cinnamon Filling:
1/3 c. melted butter
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder

Dough:
2 c. flour
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. melted butter
1 c. buttermilk (I used 1 Tbsp. vinegar + milk to make 1 cup)
1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips (I left these out)

Glaze:
1/2 c. powdered sugar
3 Tbsp. buttermilk (I used plain milk)

For the filling: In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, sugars, cinnamon, and cocoa powder. Set aside.

For the dough:

Preheat oven to 400F. Spray an 8" pan with non-stick spray.

Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the melted butter and buttermilk to form a soft dough.

Turn the dough out onto a well-floured countertop and knead 8-10 times, adding flour if necessary (I had to add in about 1/4-1/2 cup more of flour). Using a floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a rectangle about 1/3" thick and 12 inches long.

Evenly spread the cinnamon-chocolate mixture on the dough and sprinkle with the chocolate chips, if using. Starting with the long end, roll the dough up.

Cut into 12 even slices (I used dental floss to cut them). Place cut side down on prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 min., until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly, then turn out onto a plate.

While the rolls are cooling, combine the powdered sugar, milk, and cream cheese in a small bowl. Mix until smooth. Drizzle over warm cinnamon rolls.




28 comments:

  1. These look wonderful! I love cinnamon rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful! I am amazed how fast you were able to make these. I need to mark this recipe for when I get a last-minute craving. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fabulous of you to step up! These sound fabulous, I love chocolate and cinnamon together. And you had me at "no rise"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treat! I love the twist on the filling, and would not have thought to add the chocolate flair. The "melt in your mouth" description says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was quick and they look absolutely great! I do agree with you on the cinnamon rolls- I love them but the rising time always deters me from making them so often (which in hindsight is a good thing as I avoid all those calories). But these sound like a delight to make and have on your plate as quick as possible!

    Shumaila
    http://thenovicehousewife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUMMY!!!!!!! I think I know what we'll be making for a special breakfast one day this week. My 10-year-old will love these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum, chocolate and cinnamon....they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, you're awesome to "adopt an orphan" so quickly! ;) I just made cinnamon rolls yesterday. I have a recipe that uses extra yeast, so they rise really fast and a lot in the oven. You can search my blog for "30 minute rolls" if you want. It's also a great recipe for any kind of roll.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and chocolate in the rolls sounds really good! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would never have thought to put chocolate and cinnamon together. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so good. If they are truly no rise I need to try them stat because some mornings I just want a cinnamon roll and there's never time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is nothing better than a cinnamon bun fresh from the oven, warm and sugary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you SO much for un-orphaning me! I love these cinnamon rolls, I just may have to make some in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are right up my alley...definitely making them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM!! My youngest daughter would like these alot

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're such a sweetie for adopting an orphaned blog! And your quickie cinnamon rolls look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll definitely be making these at some point! I love cinnamon rolls but hate making bread (I have no patience to wait for hours for it to rise).

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look just wonderful!

    I bake a lot(!) with yeast, and I always make the dough the night before and let it rise in the fridge. This way the dough is much better, and of-course I don't have to wake up early :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look great! Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea for the dental floss for cutting, will save that for future use!

    No rise sounds great, the rolls look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that you stepped in to help Allison. She rocks and sooo doesn't deserve to be orphaned. They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Boy! You are so right. So usually save for special occassions. Have to try these so we can have cinny rolls more often. Or is that way TOO dangerous???

    ReplyDelete
  23. SO yummy! I love cinnamon rolls but I hate getting up to make them. Love this recipe.

    ReplyDelete