Monday, April 9, 2012

Berry Muffins - SRC


For this month's Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned to Jessie's blog, Vanderbilt Wife. After browsing through all her recipes, I knew exactly what I wanted to make - Fresh Strawberry Muffins. I am a strawberry fiend. Whenever it's strawberry season, I buy several pounds at a time and finish them off in just a few days. I could literally eat them every day and never get tired of them.

And since it just happens to be that time of year, my fridge had several more pounds of strawberries just sitting in there all ready to be eaten. I suppose I could afford to part with some of them to make into delicious muffins.

I ended up putting strawberries into some of them. Into others, I added some chocolate chips with the strawberries. Then, I remembered that I had some blueberries and lemons, so I threw that into some of the muffins as well. While they were all delicious, I think the blueberry lemon ones were my absolute faves. There's just something about having a juicy berry explode in your mouth with every bite. At some point, I had considered glazing the muffins maybe with a lemon-powdered sugar glaze. But, upon eating them, I realized the muffins don't need it at all. They're totally yummy without it.

Thanks Jessie for a super muffin recipe!

Berry Muffins (from Vanderbilt Wife)

1/2 c. butter, melted
3/4 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. lemon zest (if using blueberries)
1 egg
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. chopped strawberries or blueberries
1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips (optional)

If using the lemon zest, add it to the sugar and rub it in with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and fragrant. Cream butter and lemon-sugar. Add egg and mix well.
Add flour, baking powder, and salt to a small bowl. Stir well with a wire whisk. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to butter mixture. Add vanilla. Gently stir in strawberries or blueberries or chocolate chips, or whatever you wish.

Spoon batter into muffin pans. Bake at 400F for 20-25 min.




16 comments:

  1. What a lovely recipe, so perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, these muffins look fantastic - the blueberries and lemon sound like a perfect combo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the combination of berries. Beautiful muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, love muffins! I've never tried chocolate and strawberries with a muffin, but that's the one that sounds the best to me (surprise!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are perfect for the strawberries I have going in my container garden. Assuming the critters don't make off with all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way these look...blueberry and lemon together never disappoints!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe sounds perfect for the strawberries in my garden. Assuming the critters don't make off with them first...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love muffins! These look so full of yumminess!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love muffins! These look so full of yumminess!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a strawberry fiend too. I can't wait to try these muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blueberry would be my pick! I love muffins for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Strawberry muffins are a new favorite of mine. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing better than a fresh berry in a warm muffin. Love blueberries especially.

    Gret choice

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your muffins look wonderful, so packed with fruit.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Fruit, Nut & Poppy Seed Chicken Salad.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  15. apparently I am on a muffin kick lately (http://inherchucks.com/2012/04/13/chocolate-beet-muffins/) because these will be the next muffins to hit the oven. I found you through Sweets for a Saturday! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete