Monday, July 18, 2011

Spicy Black Beans


It's time for another Secret Recipe Club post. Each month, everyone gets assigned to someone else's blog and is allowed to choose one recipe from it to make and post. It's so much fun. If you want to join in, just click HERE.

I love spicy food, so when I was assigned this month to the blog, A Couple in the Kitchen, I immediately zeroed in on their recipe for Spicy Black Beans. Not only did it look good, but it also sounded so easy to make.

The recipe itself requires ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen and can be whipped up in less than 20 minutes. You can't beat that. I did make several changes to the recipe which can be found in red below.

One taste, and wow! Those beans had kick. This would be a great as a side dish, served over rice, put into burritos, there's so many possibilities. Thanks to A Couple in the Kitchen for one delicious recipe.

Spicy Black Beans (adapted from A Couple in the Kitchen)

1 (15.5 oz.) can black beans (I used low-sodium black beans)
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 small onion, diced (I used half an onion)
2 cloves garlic, crushed (I minced mine)
ground black pepper

Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. (I sauteed the onion and garlic first for a couple of minutes until the onions were translucent. Then, I added the rest of the ingredients.) Turn down heat and cook for 10-15 minutes.




17 comments:

  1. I love black beans! This sounds like a quick and delicious way to dress them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love black beans, the spicier the better. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look SO good - I love black beans! I agree, Lisa, I think these would be delicious over rice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed them! We'll probably use your adaptations next time we make them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love black beans at our house. This version looks wonderful. Cannot wait to try it. Come over and visit today. We have a really wonderful grilled fruit recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Black beans are my favorite. These sound delicious. I will need to give these a try once I get my hand on an onion. Very versatile. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds both easy and delicious. I love eating meals with beans since then I am full afterwards with healthy stuff. :) Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! These would be perfect alongside tacos or enchiladas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love black beans - this recipe you chose looks really quick and easy to prepare, perfect for a fast dinner idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks wonderful, Lisa! Perfect side dish! :)

    xx,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like such a delicious (and healthy!) recipe. Great pick for SRC!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love black beans and never really thought of eating them like this...I've always just added them to chili or made bean burgers...I will have to try them this way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love black beans and this looks delish.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Holy Guacamole.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks great! I really like black beans, but I often just put them in tacos or burritos plain - this looks like a great way to make them more exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of our all time favorites! One can never have enough bean recipes, and I'm totally saving this one. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds great! I love spicy food too and use beans in a lot of dishes. I recently used similar ingredients to make refried black beans for tostadas. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love easy to make & delicious...great spicy beans recipe. So fun to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you.

    ReplyDelete