Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Oyster Sauce Meatballs


I grew up in an Americanized household. Unfortunately, that meant that my sisters and I didn't learn to speak Japanese the way our grandparents could. But, luckily, we still kept the Asian influence in our food. Of course, that meant that our kitchen pantry was usually stocked with 20-pound bags of rice, gallon jugs of soy sauce, and large bottles of oyster sauce. Believe me, we went through a lot of that stuff very quickly.


One of the dishes we enjoyed growing up was an oyster sauce chicken and broccoli dish. One night, however, I didn't have any chicken or broccoli, but I did have ground turkey and some other vegetables. So, I decided to improvise and made Oyster Sauce Meatballs instead. I threw in some carrots and celery too to make it healthy. I was totally pleased with how it all turned out. The flavors melded together deliciously and the red pepper flakes that I added in gave it a nice little kick. This new recipe is going to be a keeper in my book and will make an appearance in my Asian kitchen for years to come.



Oyster Sauce Meatballs (by Lisa of Sweet as Sugar Cookies)

1.25 lb. ground turkey
1 egg
1/2 c. breadcrumbs
salt, pepper
dash garlic powder
1/2 round yellow onion, chopped

2 c. water
1/2 c. oyster sauce (or less if you won't want it that strong)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. ginger powder
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tsp. sugar
freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 1 Tbsp. water

2-3 carrots, sliced into thin coins
3 stalks of celery, sliced diagonally

Combine the ingredients for the meatballs. Form the meatballs, then bake at 350F for about 25 min. While the meatballs are baking, combine the ingredients for the sauce in a large pan and set aside.

Saute the carrots and celery in a pan until they are tender but still crunchy, about 3-5 min. Set aside.

Add the cooked meatballs to the sauce. Put the pan over medium heat until the sauce begins to boil. Once it starts to boil, add the cornstarch and water mixture until the sauce reaches your desired thickness. Add the carrots and celery to the meatballs and keep cooking for about 10 min. until everything is heated through. Serve over rice.

This recipe is linked to:
These Chicks Cooked

12 comments:

  1. Lisa these sound delicious...Glad you shared this I'll be trying it, but with pork...I don't really like ground turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, these look great - the type of food my family loves! Beautiful photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! Asian flavors are a favorite here - adding meatballs is a sure fire winner :) Bookmarking this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious - I'm a huge fan of oyster sauce but never thought to pair it with meatballs! I'll have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a jar of oyster sauce in my fridge waiting to be used for something! This will have to be the one. It looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go, Lisa! These sound really good! Spicy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so delicious. I can't wait to give this a try sometime. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so fantastic. I bet it tastes even better. Yum. Come over and visit us today. We have a wonderful easy sorbet recipe to share.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look great!

    Cindy B.
    cindyskitchen@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious creation! Never made Oyster sauce meatballs before but I think my kids would definitely love these. LOL...my kitchen pantry sounds like yours too...always filled with 20+ pound of rice, gallons of soy sauce and the essential large bottle of oyster sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rarely do i get to see u cook! and that meatballs look delish. I am glad your family are embracing the Asian fares!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tried it last week, came out very well. Everyone enjoyed them. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete