Thursday, July 21, 2011

Banana Banana Bread



It's been years since I last ate banana bread and so I've been craving it. Bananas were on sale so that seemed like a sign to go ahead and make it now. It was almost torture having to wait for several days while the bananas slowly ripened on my counter. When those little black spots appeared, I was overjoyed. Finally, I was going to satisfy my craving.

Unfortunately, I couldn't remember what recipe I used to use in the past but that was okay because it meant I got to try out a new one instead. The Banana Banana Bread from Allrecipes seemed like a sure thing what with all the high ratings and I liked that the ratio of flour to bananas was equal.

I eagerly mixed it all up, popped it in the oven, and then waited for what seemed like forever before they were fully baked and ready to eat. I cut myself a still warm slice marveling at how moist the bread looked. The taste was awesome. It was full of banana flavor and wasn't at all overly sweet or greasy. I still would love to try other banana bread recipes to see how they all compare, but for now, this one's a keeper.

I gave away one mini loaf and carefully wrapped up the leftover slices on a plate to savor later that afternoon. Imagine my dismay when I came home and found that ANTS and more ANTS were enjoying MY banana bread instead. And to think, I only got to eat one piece!!! Wahhhh. Oh well, I'll just have to make more.

Banana Banana Bread (Allrecipes)

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 1/3 c. mashed overripe bananas
I added 2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x5 in. loaf pan or two mini loaf pans.

Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add the vanilla. Stir in the eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan(s).

Bake in preheated oven for 60-65 for large pan and 45-50 min. for mini loaves, or until the loaves test done. Let bread cool in pan(s) for 10 min., then turn out onto a wire rack.

9 comments:

  1. I love banana bread and am always up for a piece. Stupid ants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love banana bread here too :)
    mickey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm I LOVE banana bread, reminds me of growing up with my grandma :) What a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put the bananas in a paper bag. They'll ripen really fast, so you won't have to wait days to make this luscious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad day. Our bananas always get overripe quickly in the summer, so it's a nice summer food for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made this recipe several years ago and remember liking it a lot! Ants can be such a nuissance in the summer. If you have trouble getting rid of them, I recommend Terro liquid ant baits. We have had really bad ant problems and they don't go away even if there' snothing for them to eat, so I've started putting these baits out and leaving them all summer. Every time a line of time ants come in, they are gone and the entire colony dead within two days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the name Banana banana bread! Must have been really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those darn ants! I always have a stash of over-ripe bananas in my freezer:) Love banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love banana bread and make it often...I keep my ripened bananas in the freezer - peel and all, then all I have to do is thaw them. Take a peek to this absolute favorite banana bread from my blog...http://thebetterbaker.blogspot.com/2011/02/sour-cream-banana-bread-healthy.html
    You won't be sorry! Enjoy your weekend Lisa.

    ReplyDelete