Monday, February 28, 2011

Starbucks Pumpkin Scones


Yup, it's yet another pumpkin recipe. But, I promise it's a really good one.

Maybe you've heard of this copycat recipe for Starbucks Pumpkin Scones. According to all those who try it, the results are so good that you can't tell the difference between the two. Now, I've never actually bought scones from Starbucks but these are definitely good enough for me.


Although the pumpkin flavor in the scone itself is not very prominent, I promise that it'll come out singing once you put on the spiced icing. In fact, in my opinion, I'd probably reverse the icings next time and use the spiced one to glaze them and the plain one as a drizzle instead. I just think it tastes better that way. But, no matter how you ice it, if you like pumpkin, then these are the scones for you.

Starbucks Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze (Brown-eyed Baker)

Yield: 12 scones

For the Scones:
2 cups all-purpose flour
7 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
6 Tablespoons cold butter
½ cup canned pumpkin
3 Tablespoons half-and-half
1 large egg

For the Powdered Sugar Glaze:
1 cup plus 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
2 Tabelspoons milk

For the Spiced Glaze:
1 cup plus 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch ground ginger
1 pinch ground cloves

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger in a large bowl. Use a fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and no chunks of butter are obvious; set aside.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, half-and-half and egg. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and form the dough into a ball. Pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 1-inch thick rectangle about 3 times as long as wide. Use a large knife or a pizza cutter to slice the dough twice through the width, making three equal portions. Cut each of the portions in an X pattern (four pieces) so you end up with 12 triangular slices of dough. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until light brown. Place on wire rack to cool.

4. To make the powdered sugar glaze, mix the powdered sugar and milk together until smooth. When scones are cool, use a brush to spread plain glaze over the top of each scone.

5. To make the spiced glaze, while the powdered sugar glaze is firming, combine all of the ingredients for the spiced glaze. Drizzle over each scone and allow the icing to dry before serving (about an hour).

This recipe is linked to:

My Sweet and Savory's Meatless Mondays

Mouthwatering Monday

Just Another Meatless Monday

Tasty Tuesdays

Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday

Hearth and Soul Hop

Sweet Tooth Friday


36 comments:

  1. I have never had a pumpkin scone...yours look fantastic and I love that sugar glaze atop too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I tried these back in October. They were really good. The next time I made them I cut them into smaller pieces and did reverse the glazes. I brought them to a meeting and they were a huge hit.

    Lynn
    http://punkaroonie.blogspot.com/2010/10/pumpkin-scones.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pumpkin scones but I've never tried them with a glaze! Looks too delicious I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! I've never made scones before but I've seen some really good recipes lately that are inspiring me to try.

    P.S. Lisa, Check out my blog. You won my cookbook giveaway and I need to get in touch with you. Thanks!

    Kim
    www.wellseasonedlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, what is it about Starbucks? They sure know how to sell what goes great with their coffee! I am not a big scone fan, they are usually dry, but my guess is, these are not! Yay, can't wait to try 'em. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I baked pumpkin scones recently and they were really nice. Savoury kind though.
    This sweet version looks great! Smells like Christmas with all the spices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! I'm so glad you don't think you have to wait for fall to share pumpkin recipes. *-* I'm sure these are wonderful - can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe I can make them at home now. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I wait every fall for Starbucks start selling their pumpkin scones and muffins. They are so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow does those look wonderful. I love scones and I love pumpkin anything so that is a homerun recipe for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh pumpkin how I love thee! These scones sound and look incredible. I would love one with my coffee right now. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sound scrumptious..!!! Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love pumpkin and scones. I'm going to have to try this! Thanks for the recipe Lisa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look delicious...! I am going to try your recipe for sure :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful! Can't wait to bake some for myself...oh I mean for a few friends! (lol) :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the pumpkin scones at Starbucks. What a great idea to make your own at home!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these..thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Though I have not tried these, I love anything Starbucks. These sound great, really great:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. love! such a great scone. thanks for sharing :)
    love this, love you! .meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. hm....your pumpkin scones look delicious. Yes, I heard of the copycat scones from Starbucks but never tried to make them at home. I think your scones look even better than those selling at Starbucks! ;) BTW, I'm hosting a Culinary Smackdown Battle on my blog. The theme for March is cookies. I remember you have quite a few delicious cookie recipes. Come join in for the fun. I have some cool prizes waiting.

    Amy

    http://utry.it/2011/03/culinary-smackdown-battlecookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've got cans of pumpkin squirreled away, so this is just perfect! I've never had a scone from Starbucks either, but I'm definitely going to make your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Keep those pumpkin recipes coming! I love pumpkin too! Yummy, your scones certainly looks good. Would be great with a nice cup of warm spiced tea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lisa, as always, you make me extremely happy with pumpkin recipes! I want to make these soon!

    I'm also hosting another CSN Giveaway this week at www.EKatsKitchen.com this week -- I hope you'll enter!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pumpkin scone? I need to try this...looks delicious and can I have it with a cup of coffee please?

    ReplyDelete
  24. These sconces look heavenly! I love pumpkin and bake with it, year round. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have never a pumpkin scone before. Maybe I should since these look sinfully good. Btw,, I have as award for you. Please feel free to drop by to collect it. Thanks!
    Beset regards, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum! And I have pumpkin to use up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am loving this recipe. Send me one, two or perhaps the whole batch. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh boy, do these look good! I may have to get a can of pumpkin from the pantry and go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are my all time favorites!!! I saved it and can't wait to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lisa,
    I love to cook with pumpkin - and your scones look so yummy, a perfect "after school treat" for my kids - thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This recipe makes me happy!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. These look so yummy; thanks for posting the recipe :)

    http://ladyonaroof.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. YUMMY, Lisa! Scones and pumpkin, what a great combination! ANd so much fun to have a Starbucks recipe.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  34. There is nothing better than being able to make something at half the cost... Looks amazing and EXACTLY like starbucks!

    ReplyDelete