Monday, February 7, 2011

Pumpkin Bread - For Real This Time


Pumpkin bread has always been one of my family's favorites and this particular recipe is the only one we ever use. However, while the recipe is perfection in itself, it appears that I'm flawed at times when it comes to copying it down. Hence, last year when I tried to make them, I ended up with these Pumpkin Blondies instead. Don't get me wrong, it turned out to be a delicious mistake, but this time I really wanted pumpkin BREAD. So, I made sure to double check and triple check the recipe and pay close attention to make sure I didn't forget to add something.

As a way to redeem myself for my mistake, I proceeded to make 15 mini loaves. Hah! Take that! You, pumpkin bread recipe, thought you could get the better of me, but I have now conquered you. Okay, I'm just joking. Actually, we wanted to give loaves of pumpkin bread to the elderly members of our church and so we needed to make a lot.

This time, there were no mistakes. The breads were just as they should be - flavorful with pumpkin and spices, fragrant, and by golly, this time they rose up beautifully (which definitely elicited a sigh of relief from me as I peeked at them through the oven door). The people were all a smiles as they received their goodies.

Oh, and if you want to know why there's no picture of any slices, it's because the last remaining loaf mysteriously disappeared (presumably into someone's stomach) before I could take any pics of it.

Pumpkin Bread

2 c. unsifted flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda (I forgot this last time)
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter or margarine, softened (do not use unsalted butter)
1 (1 lb.) can pumpkin (about 1 3/4 cup)
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 325F. Combine all the dry ingredients well. Blend butter and sugar and add two eggs. Add the pumpkin. Add the flour mixture. Bake in two 9x5x3 loaf pans for 1 hour and 15 min. or in five mini loaf pans for 35 min., or until a toothpick comes out clean.

This recipe is linked to:
My Sweet and Savory's Meatless Mondays
Midnight Maniac's Meatless Mondays
Just Another Meatless Monday
Mouthwatering Mondays

Rook No. 17
Recipes I Can't Wait to Try
Sweet Tooth Friday
Decidedly Healthy or Horridly Decadent

41 comments:

  1. oh yummy!!!!! Now you have me wanting to make pumpkin bread!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great recipe! I love pumpkin bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you were a bread making machine. What a nice surprise for everyone you are giving them too. Nothing better than pumpkin bread! Check out or post today for a great cheesecake and Thursday I will be posting an amazing brownie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blondies looked incredible but this is a real winner for a pumpkin bread. I am so happy for you that you got the recipe right this go round. I would have been all smiles receiving a mini pumpkin loaf too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Que lindos!!!
    Tenho certeza que os seus amigos da Igreja adoraram o presente!
    Uma ótima semana pra você!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pumpkin bread. Glad you got the recipe right to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delish and perfect for these snowy winter days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet gesture to give them away to the elderly. I bet they are in heaven with these gorgeous loaves. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love pumpkin bread and this looks yummy. I keep canned pumpkin all year round so this is going to be made very soon : ) xoxo Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the invite to the Linky Party. We posted the cheesecake. There are so many wonderful looking recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is a lot of pumpkin bread! want a slice of it~

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love pumpkin bread, too, and I always triple my batch. It freezes so well, so why not? I'll have to try your recipe, Lisa...what a nice treat for your church friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks fabulous! A slice of this delicious bread would be great with a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's alot of pumpkin bread! Looks like a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how I love pumpkin bread! That looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's lots of pumpkin breads! Happy to receive one if you want to give any away.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How lucky they are to receive your scrumptious pumpkin bread! That was a sweet thing for you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The pumpkin bread loaves look lovely Lisa ... you must've had a bunch of happy campers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! You were in the bread making business ~ :-)
    Looks delish and I'm sure the recipients were thrilled. That's an incredible Act of Kindness.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  20. What lucky people who received this great gift!! It would of disappeared in my stomach before anyone else got it, that is for sure!! YUM! These look amazingly delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's so sweet of you to bake these wonderful pumpkin breads to the elderly at church! :) I'm sure they're all happy to receive these treats from you. May God bless you many many more times in return.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like you baked up a storm! These look yummy! I love making pumpkin bread, it makes such a delicious treat!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Look at all those gorgeous loaves of pumpkin bread! I'm definitely jealous of the lucky recipients!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE PUMPKIN BREAD!!! Oh, the yumminess!
    I stopped by to let you know that there's a fun surprise waiting for you on my blog this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lisa yours breads look absolutely amazing and tasty! Love them! x gloria

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your bread looks FANTASTIC! I just love Pumpkin bread.. especially with chocolate chips! : )

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lisa, your pumpkin bread looks delicious...so many of them :-) Even without the sliced bread pictures I can sure imagine how nice they turned out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. So cute....I love the mini loaves.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love pumpkin bread! Usually I top mine with pecans or other goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a delightful blog! I will link my chocolate cake as soon as I figure out how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. If one pumpkin bread is good...fifteen is super good!!! And I believe when eaten as minis there are no calories... Blessings to you for sharing your baking love!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I absolutely LOVE pumpkin bread and usually make it at least once in the Fall, but this year I never did. Now I want too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lisa, You were one busy little baker! The loaves turned out beautifully; they are the picture of perfection:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a wonderful idea to give as a gift. I bet all the elderly folks were thrilled! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. It looks perfect! Makes me want to go bake some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sounds delicious Lisa! How sweet of you to share your goodies with some of your fellow church members. =) Thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait To Try!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ohhh, I love pumpkin bread.

    I'm hosting a weekly link up called Sweet Tooth Friday. I'd love to have you share your recipe. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/10/spicy-chocolate-chip-cookies/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh Lisa you are making me so hungry - pumpkin bread is one of my absolute favs! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Mmmm...Pumpkin bread is one of my favorite sweet treats and your recipe sounds perfect! Lisa, thank you so much for sharing it at "A Little Birdie Told Me..." I hope you'll continue to share your delicious creations at Rook No. 17 on Tuesdays! Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  40. These look so yummy! Gonna make these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete