Sunday, October 17, 2010

Peach Jam Spirals


They say, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." I say, "When life gives you jam, make jam spiral cookies." I confess that I don't know anything about canning. So, after making a batch of peach jam, I realized there would be no way to keep the jam from going bad before I could eat it all up. Or was there? Oh yes there was!!! The answer was clear . . .



Sticky, fruity, crunchy, yummy jam spiral cookies!!!













By itself, the cookie dough doesn't have much flavor, so make sure you use a jam that you like because that is what will dominate the taste and sweetness of your cookie.

The verdict? The cookie portion of the spirals almost reminds me of biscotti after it's been baked once. It's got a little crunch to it, yet the cookie is still toothsome. It's also wonderful to be able to get a little taste of jam in every bite. I would probably increase the sugar in the cookie dough, but other than that, these cookies are a great way to use up your leftover jam. So remember, when life gives you jam, make jam spiral cookies!!!

Note: These cookies also freeze with no trouble at all. The funny thing is, they tasted even better after they had been in the freezer for a while. Interesting, but it works for me.


Jam Spirals (from Cook Almost Anything At Least Once)

250 grams plain flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
125 grams caster sugar
125 grams butter, softened slightly and cubed
2 eggs, lightly whisked
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Jam - use your favourite

Sift the flour with the baking powder and add to the bowl of a food processor. Add the sugar and briefly process to mix. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

Whisk the eggs with the vanilla extract and slowly add to the mixture. Process until the dough starts coming together to form a ball.

If you prefer you can do this all by hand.

Turn out onto a board and knead briefly to form a smooth dough - press out to form a thick rectangle (this makes it easier to roll to the right shape). Wrap in plastic and store in the fridge for a few hours to harden slightly.

Roll out onto a sheet of baking paper to form a large rectangle 25cmx35cm.

Spread the jam evenly over the dough. Using the baking paper as a guide, roll the dough from its longest side to form a tight roll. Once the roll is formed, use the baking paper as a guide to form a cover around it, screwing the edges to tighten the roll. Then wrap this in foil and store in the fridge. You'll need to rest it awhile to firm up the dough and make cutting easier.

When it's time to make the cookies, take it out and slice into 1/2" thick cookies. Preheat the oven to 350F and arrange the cookies on a lined cookie sheet. Bake until the cookies are golden, about 15-20 min. Cool on wire trays. Dust with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.

This recipe is linked to:










All That Splatters' "Weekend Blog Showcase"
La Bella Vita's "Seasonal Saturdays"
Girli Chef's Hearth n' Soul Hop
All the Small Stuff's "Tuesdays at the Table"
Blessed With Grace's "Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays"
Scrap Addict 4 Sure's "Whatcha Makin' Wednesdays"


49 comments:

  1. I also find that some cookies taste much better after being frozen. Strange but true.
    I've made something similar last year, adding marzipan to the jam in filling and I really loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    These jam cookies look perfect, I bet they tasted great. That's a great way to use up extra jam. I usually just use it in muffins, will have to try the cookies next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Those look wonderful!!! Thank you for stopping by the cottage. I love meeting new friends. :)
    A wonderful week to you!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. These look so good!! I need to try baking these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a delicious cookie, especially with homemade jam. What is the difference between jelly, jam and preserves and now we have strawbery butter.

    It must have been easier when they had one brand of one item and you just picked it off the shelf although not as much fun.

    Thanks for linking this goodness to My Meatless Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your spiral cookies looks very delicious. I espically like the peach jam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, now I know what to do with some of my homemade jams. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never tried jam spirals before. This sounds great. Thanks for sharing. I'm your newest follower! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa~ These spirals look beautiful, and I love that you used your own homemade jam as the filling. Your photos have me craving one with a cup of tea right about now. Yum!

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to post a comment. You have created a lovely blog! Very, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great idea...look easy and yummy too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm these look awesome! I've never tried anything like this, but now I want to!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cookies look so delicious Lisa, it's really tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look amazing, and with homemade peach jam too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisa, those look delicious! I love to make jam, but I end up giving most of it away because I only use it in baked goods! LOL Thanks for another great way to use up the fruits of my labor! :D

    Welcome to Weekend Blog Showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look so yummy. I've never made a recipe like that but it would be fun to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovin the jam cookies! I say when Lisa makes cookies, mail them to me (the other Lisa) and i'll eat them. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my these are probably so hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look sooo good! AND I have a bunch of jam sitting around my house that I made...Bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look wonderful. I love homemade jam and inside cookies even more. I love that they freeze well too. Thanks for sharing them.

    I think that is so funny when you mentioned how you were thinking about applesauce and if it could go in a pie on my blog. I have had that happen many times; I will be thinking of a certain dish and will see it that day on a blog. I think we bloggers are all on the same wave length:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, I'll add that saying to my list!! LOL, I'm all for making spirals when life gives me jam. These look and sound very tasty. Thanks so much for sharing them with the hearth and soul hop this week :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum! These look wonderful. I never thought to do spirals instead of thumbprints.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your jam cookies look absolutely delicious and wonderful! I have some homemade freezer jam and now I know what to do with it:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks good. I have quite a bit of homemade apricot jam that will work very nicely in this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ooooh, these look fun and delicious! This would be something nice to keep in mind for when we have company.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Peach Jam, that's new to me, but it sounds fab! I love that you made a cookie out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those look really scrummy Lisa! I love anything with jam in it, well dessert wise that is! I'm not sure fish and jam would be that tasty! It is nice to meet another member who is also a food blogger!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look so yummy Lisa! I love this idea. I wonder if a little bit of peanut butter in the dough would be good too, for a pb and jelly version.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Lisa these look god. You did it again.I think
    I would like the biscotti taste. Come by and link up with me!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lisa,
    what a marvelous way to use up jam! My MIL passed away this summer and we were the recipients of many jars of jam that we need to eat up - my kids are going to go crazy about these cookies - thanks for sharing this with the hearth and soul hop!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These look so beautiful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a delicious way to use up jam! I love this idea - they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These little cookies look so good! I've got some lovely home made jam that would be great in these. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. The spirals look cute and beautiful. My kids are going to have a blast this weekend. Thanks for sharing.
    Nice to be here, best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  34. these look like an excellent way to use up jam! I have a ton of canned apple butter right now. I'm guessing the combination would be delicious. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow,, these look so yummy. I bet your peach jam is good by itself too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. They look excellent and are surely filled with lots of good flavor. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Those look really good! I love how easy they are to make. They would be perfect for a party and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Peach Jam one of my favorites. I will sure give this a try, and thank you for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  39. These spirals looks delicious and I love that they can be frozen for later. My kids would really enjoy these too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh my goodness, Lisa, these are amazing! Love peach jam, and in a cookie? Yes indeed! Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I've never made pinwheels or spiral cookies before, but this sounds delightful, i love jam cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Yum! These are so pretty AND look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just so happens I have some jam to use up, so I think I need to try these.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete