Monday, October 11, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Criss-Crosses


Growing up, I loved Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. There's just something about the chocolate peanut butter combo that totally rocks. So, upon seeing Dorie Greenspan's recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Criss-Crosses, I just knew that I had to make them as a nod to my childhood candy fave.

The finished cookies will be either soft and chewy or crispy depending on how long you baked them. As for the taste, both the chocolate and the peanut butter flavors are somewhat subtle, but you can still tell that they're there. The peanuts add a good crunch, and of course, who can resist little bits of chocolate. While they'll never come close to my PB Cups, they're still a good cookie nevertheless.


Chocolate Peanut Butter Criss-Crosses
(from Dorie Greenspan's Baking From My Home to Yours)

2 c. flour
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
pinch grated nutmeg (I omitted this)
1 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 c. peanut butter (I used crunchy)
1 c. light brown sugar
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. chopped, salted peanuts (optional)
1/3 c. chocolate chips (or more)

Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add the peanut butter and beat for another minute. Add the sugars and beat for 3 min. more. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 min. after each addition. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl and, on low speed, add the dry ingredients, mixing only until they just disappear. Mix in the chopped peanuts and chocolate chips.

Roll the dough into balls and coat them in some sugar. Place on a baking sheet. Dip the tines of a fork in sugar and press the tines against each ball first in one direction and then in a perpendicular direction - you should have a flattened round of dough with crisscross indentations.

Bake for about 12 min., rotating the sheets from top to bottom and front to back at the midway point. When done, the cookies will still be a little soft. Let the cookies sit on the sheets for a minute before transferring them to cooling racks. Cool to room temperature.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, how cute they are, I'd love a few with my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. chocolate and peanut butter might be the best combo ever. These look really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you know peanut butter and chocolate cookies were my favorite! I know you'll be sending me some. Right? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate and peanut butter... an unbeatable combination!

    Blessings,

    e-Mom @ Susannah's {Kitchen}

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a perfect cookie for me...two of my favorite flavors together! Yum! They look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I am loving these cookies! PB cups are one of my faves too! These are irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of both worlds, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so good and the ingredients are truly delicious. Definitely going to be making these gorgeous cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just made Dorie's lemon cream tart and it was incredible so I'm sure these were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa, it doesn't get much better than this! Who can resist peanut butter cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  12. chocolate an peanut butter is king! I want those cookies now. I totally have a craving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, they look delicious... nothing better than chocolate and peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM! My toddler and I just baked cookies together for the first time last night. So much fun! We made Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies but now I am wishing I had this recipe! Oh well, guess I just have to make some more ;) LOVE your blog by the way! Thanks for leaving me a note on FMA! Let me know if you try the Skiers' Sausage! I am glad we share a love for Hawaii. My heart is in HI. My family lived there for years until my uncle died last year and we moved my aunt to the mainland. We hoped my hubbys job woudl move us to Hawaii, but we got Alaska instead. We start that adventure in December. Guess I will just find some Alaskan aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa,
    Yum, that is my kinda cookie!

    ReplyDelete