Monday, October 13, 2014

Pumpkin Rocky Road Brownies


Originally, I was going to make Pumpkin S'mores Bars.  However, when I opened up the package of graham crackers, something seemed a little off.  They didn't smell way graham crackers usually smelled.  In fact, they kind of reminded me of the way a bottle of oil smells when it has gone bad.  Then, I looked at the date on the box - March 2014.  Okaaay, apparently graham crackers do not last forever.  Who knew?  So, there went the s'mores bars.

But, since I had the pumpkin and the marshmallows, I decided to go ahead and make something else - these Pumpkin Rocky Road Brownies.  I have had these on my pin board for the longest time.  It seems like I just never had all the ingredients at once.  Well, now was the time.  


I decided to alter them a bit.  Instead of putting all the marshmallows and chocolate chips into the batter, I saved half of them and added them onto the top during the last 10 minutes of baking.  Since the recipe calls for both pumpkin and spices, you would think that you would taste them in the brownies themselves.  But, actually, all you really taste is a deep chocolatiness.  I think the pumpkin is what makes these extra fudgy, gooey, and rich.  In fact, I'd recommend keeping them chilled, otherwise, they tend to fall apart a little.  Other than that, they were sensational.  I think you'll love them as much as I did.

Pumpkin Rocky Road Brownies (adapted from Flamingo Musings)

1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted
1 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. pumpkin puree
1 c. natural cane sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger powder
1/2 tsp. cardamom
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. chocolate chips (divided)
2 1/4 c. mini marshmallows (divided)

Line a 9x9 pan with foil.  Melt the butter and stir in the cocoa powder.  Mix in the pumpkin puree and spices, then the sugar.  Beat in the egg and vanilla.  Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Fold in 1/2 c. of chocolate chips and 1 c. of marshmallows.  Spread evenly into the pan and bake at 350F for 35 minutes.

Top with the rest of the mini marshmallows and chocolate chips and bake for 10 minutes more.  The brownies will be gooey, so be sure to let cool completely.  I also recommend chilling them in the freezer for easier cutting.  It's also easiest is you dip a knife in warm water before each cut. 


 






No comments:

Post a Comment