Monday, October 20, 2014

Browned Butter Pumpkin Pie Bars


Several years ago, I made these pumpkin pie bars and proclaimed them the best pumpkin brownie/blondie recipe I had ever tried.  They were moist and chock full of pumpkiny, spicy flavors.  I honestly did not think that they could get any better.  I was wrong.  Two words - browned butter.   

It's that whole adage . . . if I knew then what I know now.  Well, what I know now is how to brown butter and I also know that browned butter makes everything, and I mean everything, so much better.  The smell of it alone is like the most delightful perfume in your house.  Intoxicating.  They should make air fresheners and candles scented like browned butter.  I'm totally serious.

 

But, going back to these bars.  Browned butter immediately adds a depth of flavor that you simply won't get with regular melted butter.  It's true that it takes more time to make, a little more patience, and a bit of skill, but you really won't regret it.  Once you go browned, you'll never go back.  So it was with these pumpkin pie bars.  One taste of them and the difference was like night and day.  Oooohhh, I was in pumpkin heaven.  Correction - browned butter pumpkin heaven.  I eagerly shared these bars with friends of mine and they were just as over the moon about them as I was.  May I never forget this important lesson - browned butter = better!

Browned Butter Pumpkin Pie Bars (slightly adapted from Brown Eyed Baker)

2 c. flour
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. butter, browned
2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin puree

For the top:
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper.  Combine the dry ingredients and set aside.  Brown the butter until it smells nutty (do not discard the browned bits).  Let the browned butter cool slightly to room temperature.  Combine the butter with the sugar, then beat in the eggs and vanilla.  Mix in the pumpkin.  Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined.

Spread the batter evenly in the pan.  Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs on it.  Cool completely before cutting.


7 comments:

  1. Oooh I love the combination of browned butter and pumpkin, so these bars look seriously glorious!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm.... those look soft, chewy, and SO delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I just happen to have a can of pumpkin puree in my cupboard. Lucky me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of us highly-developed this specific hack each of our completely new system eHac sixth is v.5.1. Our own hack have a helpful port and it's absolutely

    dependable mainly because all of us utilize ProxyPro vers. Clash Of Clans Hack Tool No Survey eight to provide safety to help our bait users.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The applicant can go for instructional classes. Firstly, before a hopeful selects in a MCSA instructional class, he/she ought to have some pragmatic learning in these innovations so that he/she picks up as of now has some involvement in managing them. MCSA Certification

    ReplyDelete
  6. ther similliar food like this come from indonesia called wajik

    文山區小額借款

    ReplyDelete