Sunday, August 4, 2013

Spiced Oatmeal Cranberry Apricot Cookies



I have to admit, when I started searching Cupcake Muffin's blog for this month's SRC, I was like a kid in a candy store.  Oohhh ooohhh look at all the yummy cookie recipes, I want that!  Wait, wait, look at all the delicious cake recipes, I want that!  What?  There's more sugary stuff over there too?  What they hey, I'll just take all of it.  Consequently, I didn't make just one recipe from Sara's blog, I actually tried three different ones over the course of the month.  But, one of those recipes was one that she made for her SRC before, so I chose not to showcase that one.  Instead, I bring you some amazing Spiced Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Cranberries and Apricots

I teach a group of teenage girls and I like to make their birthdays special by presenting them with an assortment of cookies.  Each month, I change things up and try new recipes and Sara's oatmeal cookie recipe looked like just the thing to make.  I didn't have any dried cherries, but I did have some dried cranberries, so I added those in instead.  I also didn't have any cardamom on hand, so I subbed in some ginger powder.

 

These cookies came out just like the ones in Sara's picture, all thick and chewy and full of orange and red bits of fruit that looked like jewels.  My mom saw them cooling on the counter and, after asking if it was alright to take one (she knows I gotta take pics first), promptly declared that they were really good!  I ate one myself and boy was she right.  Even better, these are totally healthy - just bursting with fiber, antioxidants, and vitamin C.  Okay, maybe you don't care about that.  In that case, they're bursting with flavor, fruitiness, and spiciness that can't be beat.

Sara, your cookies rock! My tastebuds thank you.

Spiced Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Cranberries and Apricots (adapted from Cupcake Muffin)

1-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger powder
2 sticks softened butter
1-1/4 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2-3/4 cups quick oats (not instant oats)
6 ounces dried cranberries
3 ounces dried apricots, diced

1. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger powder and set aside.
2. Beat together the butter and sugars until smooth and creamy.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.  Add the vanilla and beat to incorporate.
3. Add the flour mixture and stir in with a rubber spatula until the flour is mixed in enough not to fly out of the mixer.  Then beat until just incorporated.  Add the oats and beat until just combined.  Stir in the cranberries and apricots with a rubber spatula.
4. Cover the bowl and chill at least 6 hours or overnight.
5. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line two baking sheets with foil or parchment.
6.  Scoop out about 1 tablespoon of dough per cookie, and gently roll into a ball with your palms.  Bake 10-12 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through, until the cookies just begin to brown.
 7.   Let cool on a cooling rack. 



20 comments:

  1. I just love anything with dried fruit. Nice SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, so glad you liked these cookies. They are definitely one of my favorites and your version looks fantastic! Subbing in ginger is genius - I totally need to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious Lisa and I love the addition of ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good thing oats come gluten free. You've got me craving oatmeal cookies. Love the dried fruit in these. And the spices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These count as healthy cookies, right?!?! Great SRC pick :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these cookies! What a great pick for SRC. I adore oatmeal cookies and I've never put apricots in them. Now I really want to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love oatmeal cookies, those are my favorites. Haven't tried to add peaches to it, but it sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you made this recipe your own by using what you had on hand. I happen to have dried cranberries and dried apricots in the pantry, so I'm sure I will be making these soon. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look great! I'll have to make these after I get cranberries at our cranberry festival. I've never had cookies with multiple fruits in them either, seems like a great recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look yummy! I haven't made cookies in ages. I may just have to remedy that with this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, these cookies look good. I love how u added ginger to the recipe. Those girls are lucky indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post! Thank you for sharing ,Looking at these food is too tempting, Color, flavor and taste , Really want to taste, Be sure to try to do these foods

    cheap runescape gold
    Billig Diablo 3 Gold Kaufen
    Buy D3 Gold

    ReplyDelete
  13. Asian Noodle Salad with Sesame Tofu Bites : A combination of soy, ginger, and sesame, along with crispy fried tofu, give this tasty pasta salad its classic Asian flavors. For an even more authentic experience, replace the linguine with udon - a thick Japanese noodle available at many grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  14. https://draft.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4622293537556367218&postID=5079599401514605240&page=3&token=1607849769976&isPopup=trueสล็อตออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  15. howdy, your websites are really good. I appreciate your work.สล็อตเว็บใหญ่

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi was just seeing if you minded a comment. i like your website and the thme you picked is super. I will be back.สล็อต ฝาก-ถอน true wallet ไม่มี บัญชีธนาคาร

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is very interesting content! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your points and have come to the conclusion that you are right about many of them. You are great.สล็อตxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. This article is an appealing wealth of informative data that is interesting and well-written. I commend your hard work on this and thank you for this information. You’ve got what it takes to get attention.เว็บสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post, you have pointed out some excellent points, I as well believe this is a very superb website.เว็บตรงสล็อต

    ReplyDelete