Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Baked Orzo with Vegetables

 

Lately, I've been trying to find good vegetarian recipes to make.  Don't get me wrong, I love my chicken, fish, and the occasional piece of beef, but on those occasions where I have to cook for vegetarians, I'd prefer not to have to go and find fake meat in order to make dinner.  So, enter recipes that include pasta, whole grains, and lots of yummy vegetables.  I've got a whole boardful of them on Pinterest just waiting to be made.  But, since there was sale on eggplant, I decided to start with the Baked Orzo with Vegetables.

This recipe is not necessarily the quickest to make, since you have to chop all the veggies and also salt the eggplant, then let it sit for half an hour.  But, I promise that all the work is worth it.  I did make a few changes to the recipe.  For one thing, I had a zucchini sitting in my fridge, so I added that in.  I also left out the celery because I didn't think that it would match with the rest of the flavors in the dish. 

 Then, I cut down on the salt, used water instead of vegetable stock, and used dried oregano since that's what I had.  Finally, instead of mozzarella, I sliced up a couple of Babybel cheeses and put them on top.  As far as I can tell, making these changes didn't diminish the flavor in this dish one bit.


I have to say that this dish impressed me.  Not only is it beautiful to look at, but it's a true pleasure to eat.  The Babybel cheeses were perfect - so wonderfully melty.  And I love that it's healthy.  To up the health factor, next time, I'd probably use whole wheat orzo and add in some spinach and mushrooms too.  You could probably even use some broccoli or cauliflower to mix things up a little.  You can never have too many veggies, at least in my opinion.  With a dish like this, I promise you won't miss your meat.    

Baked Orzo with Vegetables (adapted from Smitten Kitchen who adapted it from Yotam Ottolenghi)

1 large eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch dice
Salt and black pepper
2 Tbsp. olive oil
5 oz. baby carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces orzo, a rice-shaped pasta, rinsed
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 Tbsp. dried oregano
zest from 1 lemon
2 oz. Babybel cheese, sliced
3 medium tomatoes, diced

Sprinkle your eggplant generously with salt and let it drain in a colander for 30 minutes. I used this time to get the rest of my ingredients ready. After 30 minutes, rinse it well and pat it dry on towels.

Preheat your oven to 350°F. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the oil and saute the eggplant and zucchini.  When done, remove from pan and set aside.  Add carrots to remaining oil and cook for 3 minutes before adding onion and garlic. Cook together for 5 more minutes on medium heat. Stir in the orzo and cook for two minutes more. Off the heat, add the oregano, tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon table salt, many grinds of black pepper and the water and mix well.

Transfer mixture to an 8×11-inch (about 2 quarts) ovenproof baking dish.  Slice the Babybel cheeses and stick the pieces into the pasta-veggie mixture as desired.  Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes, then bake 20 minutes without the foil. (You can increase the ration of foil-on to foil-off time if you don’t like a crunchy pasta lid.) Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Notes:
1.    The original recipe calls for you to fry the eggplant.  I just used 2 Tbsp. olive oil and sauteed the eggplant.

2.     The original recipe called for 1 tsp. tomato paste, celery, 1/2 c. parmesan cheese, vegetable stock, and fresh oregano.  I left out the tomato paste, celery, and parmesan cheese, used water instead of the vegetable stock, and used dried oregano instead of fresh.


18 comments:

  1. My sister and I were just talking about this dish! I made it a little while back and we were talking about how we needed to have it again because it was so good! :) Your version looks fabulous!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried this one, but it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks terrific Lisa. I cannot wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My spouse and i had been simply speaking about this particular recipe! We managed to get not long ago so we had been discussing how we required to own it once more because it was so excellent! :) Your own version looks wonderful!
    Runescape 2007 Gold
    World of Warcraft Gold
    Cheap Diablo 3 Gold

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a brief minute I was wondering if I'd stopped by the right blog when I saw this savory recipe ;)
    It looks great, I love the veggies u used here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing better than a blueberry muffin. Yours looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is my initially time i stop by here and I discovered lots of exciting things in the blog Particularly It really is discussion, thank you.สล็อตออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good article. I just stumbled on your site and planned to claim that I have actually appreciated reading through your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing towards your feed And that i hope you article yet again shortly. Huge thanks for the useful details.สล็อต 999

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read through that Publish and obtained it fantastic and insightful.สล็อตวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many thanks with the weblog loaded with countless information and facts. Halting by your web site helped me to acquire what I had been searching for.สล็อตแตกง่าย

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty good put up. I just stumbled upon your site and needed to say that I have truly appreciated reading through your site posts. Any way I will be subscribing on your feed And that i hope you write-up once more shortly. Significant thanks for the valuable facts.สล็อต ฝาก-ถอน true wallet ไม่มี บัญชีธนาคาร

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely savoring each and every small little bit of it. It is a great Internet site and nice share. I would like to thank you. Very good job! You men do an incredible weblog, and also have some great contents. Keep up The nice function.บาคาร่าวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantabulous publish this has been. Hardly ever witnessed this kind of helpful write-up. I am grateful to you personally and count on much more range of posts like these. Thank you a great deal.สล็อตแตกง่าย

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your website is actually interesting and this is a good inspiring posting.สล็อตxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. New Internet site is searching very good. Many thanks for The nice effort and hard work.เว็บสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  16. This weblog is so good to me. I'll continue coming listed here repeatedly. Visit my backlink at the same time..เว็บสล็อตเว็บตรง

    ReplyDelete
  17. This really is these types of a terrific resource that you're providing so you give it away without cost.เว็บตรงสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am glad I found this Web-site, I couldn't find any awareness on this issue before.Also work a internet site and In case you are at any time enthusiastic about doing some customer creating for me if possible Be happy to let me know, im always try to find men and women to take a look at my Website.เกมสล็อต

    ReplyDelete