Tuesday, July 10, 2012

PB&J Sandwich Cookie Cups


Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches always remind me of my childhood. Anytime I wanted a home lunch to take to school, I'd ask for a good old PB&J. And it seemed like only my mom could make it just right. Somehow she knew how to spread the jelly so that it wasn't all clumpy in places and you'd get a perfect ratio of peanut butter to jelly in every bite. So, I decided to create a cookie cup in homage of this classic childhood fave.


To start with, I used a simple sugar cookie cup since it's fairly neutral in flavor and would seem almost like white bread, just a little sweeter. Then, I filled each cup with a dollop of creamy peanut butter and topped it off with some grape jelly. And, there you have it, a cookie cup that tastes just like (or at least very close to) a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. One bite and it'll take you back to your childhood.


Oh, and by the way, did I mention that these are now my favorite?

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Cookie Cups (created by Sweet as Sugar Cookies)

Sugar Cookie Cups (adapted from Dreaming of White Chocolate)

1 c. butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened (I used neufchatel)
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 large egg
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda

creamy peanut butter
grape jelly (or your favorite jelly)

Cream the butter and cream cheese with the sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add the vanilla and egg and beat well. Add in your dry ingredients and mix until just combined. (I recommend chilling the dough for at least 1 hour so that it's easier to handle.)

Grease four 12-cup mini muffin tins. Scoop up the dough and fill each muffin cup 3/4 full with the dough. Bake at 350F for 10-12 min. until a toothpick comes out clean. If the cookie cups have risen high, take a spoon and flatten them down (while they're still warm) so that they are level with the sides of each muffin cup. Using a small spoon or your finger, make a dent about halfway down in each cookie cup. Chill in the fridge for at least 30-60 min. before removing from the tins.

After the cookie cups have chilled, fill each halfway with a dollop of creamy peanut butter. Then, fill the rest of the way with grape jelly or your favorite flavor of jelly.

Makes 48 cookie cups

5 comments:

  1. They look great! Another winner in your arsenal:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, these look absolutely yummy. My youngest would do extra chores for these :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well those looks so wonderful. Great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks perfect! Nothing better than a PBJ in a cookie form. Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete