Monday, February 13, 2012

Lofthouse Sugar Cookie Bars


There was a potluck at my church and I had signed up to bring dessert. The only question was what to make. I had neither the time nor the energy to make something complicated. But, I still wanted it to be delicious and appealing (naturally) and, if possible, I wanted to try something new. Then, I remembered the much raved about Sugar Cookie Bars. Simple, quick, super easy - mix it up, throw it in a pan, and bake it up. It was exactly what I needed.


I decided to try the Lofthouse Sugar Cookie Bars that Dreaming of White Chocolate linked up to last week's Sweets for a Saturday. True to form, those bars were done in no time at all with very little mess or fuss. Whip up some pink buttercream icing (it is close to Valentine's Day after all), go sprinkle crazy, and you've got a super pretty treat that can't be beat.


Of course, looks are important, but taste is even more so, right? Well, these were amazingly soft and tender, almost like cake but a little denser. With the buttercream frosting adding the perfect sweet touch, these are melt in your mouth good.


Lofthouse Sugar Cookie Bars (Dreaming of White Chocolate)

1 c. butter, room temperature
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature (I used lowfat cream cheese)
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350F. Line or grease a jelly roll pan (15x10x1).

Cream butter with cream cheese and sugar. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated. With mixer on low, add in your dry ingredients and mix until just combined.

Spread the dough evenly into your prepared pan (dough will be sticky). Bake for 20-30 min. until edges begin to turn golden brown. Cool completely then frost with buttercream frosting.

Buttercream Frosting (by Lisa of Sweet as Sugar Cookies)

3/4 c. margarine or butter
3 c. powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
milk (just enough to make it spreadable)

Cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar one cup at a time and beat until light and fluffy. Add milk as desired until you've reached a consistency you like.

This recipe is linked to:
A Little Birdie Told Me
Crazy Sweet Tuesday
Bake with Bizzy
Cast Party Wednesday
These Chicks Cooked
Full Plate Thursday
Sweet Tooth Friday

17 comments:

  1. What about the pink colour? how much are we suppose to add in the icing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recipe to have, thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute, and I'm glad you like the recipe as much as I did. Thanks for mentioning my blog in your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sugar cookie bars are so good! These are perfect for Valentine's Day, they look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sugar cookie bars look really adorable. I think they would make a perfect snack for coffee or tea time, or downtime in general. I like sweet things, but not too sweet, and these bars sounds like they have the right balance. The pink frosting you made is also really festive for the holiday.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting! Never though of turning sugar cookies into bars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really?! Bars, Oh my gawrsh!!!! My kids are going to flip their lids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love these bars. I can almost taste them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look yummy! I stumbled across your blog today and love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes the most simple things are the most delicious things. . .looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! These look delish. I love that you turned them into a bar, what a great idea! I would love for you to share these on Fabulous Friday. http://my-crowded-kitchen.blogspot.com/p/link-party.html If you can make it I'd love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lisa,
    Your Sugar Cookie Bars look so delicious. I love the color. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week end!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made some Lofthouse style cookies at Christmas, bars would have been so much easier! Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mouth is watering! I love lofthouse cookies, and these bars look like the ultimate in that sweet cakey cookie goodness! Love the frosting; love the sprinkles!

    Sharing on my Facebook page and pinning to so I don't forget to try them myself!

    jenn

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice opinion.. thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  16. they look wonderful! aren't they just the tastiest, easiest little dessert? i'll definitely be making 'em again soon!

    ReplyDelete