Sunday, November 7, 2010

Spiced Oatmeal Shortbread


Steph's Bite by Bite
blog must be seriously inspiring me because this is the second time I've made a recipe after seeing her post it on her blog. First, it was these Pumpkin Pie Bars/Brownies. Now, it was her Spiced Oatmeal Shortbread Wedges. What can I say? Her stuff just looks good, really good.

I did alter the recipe, however, based upon my own taste and limitations. I didn't toast the oats simply because I sort of missed that step when I was reading the recipe. Oops. Well, there's always a next time. I also increased the brown sugar and, since I like my cookies spicy, I increased the spices as well and added some cardamom. Then, since I don't have a food processor (I'm telling you, one of these days I'll get one), I cut the butter in by hand using a pastry cutter. It's just as effective, but it'll take a little longer. Finally, I used turbinado sugar on the top instead of regular sugar to add a little extra crunch.

As I type this out, the cookies are baking in my oven right now and it smells incredible. The oats on top also give it a nice rustic look.

The taste, at first, was incredibly subtle. I almost thought that maybe I should have tripled the spices. But, after letting the cookies sit for a day, the flavors had time to set and I could really taste that nice spiciness. I think I'd increase the sugar, just a little more, but these cookies are still a good change from the everyday shortbread.


Note: My changes to the recipe are in blue. For the original recipe, just click on the title below.

Spiced Oatmeal Shortbread (adapted from Steph's Bite by Bite)

1/2 c. regular rolled oats
1 c. flour
4 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. cardamom
1/2 c. butter, diced
2 tsp. milk (I omitted this)
1 Tbsp. turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 325F. Spread oats out on a baking sheet and bake 6-8 min. until oats are light brown. Let cool completely. In a food processor, combine 1/3 c. cooled oats with the flour, brown sugar, and spices. Cover and process until oats are ground. Add butter pieces to food processor. Cover and pulse until mixture just comes together. Form dough into a ball.

Pat dough into an 8" circle on an ungreased cookie sheet. If desired, make a scalloped edge. Brush dough lightly with milk (I omitted this). Sprinkle with the remaining oats and sugar; press oat mixture lightly into the dough. Cut into 10 wedges (leave in wedges in circle).

Bake for 25-30 min. or until center is set. Recut circle into wedges while warm. Cool on cookie sheet for 5 min. Transfer cookies to wire rack and let cool.

This recipe is linked to:
Tuesdays At the Table
A Beautiful Mess' Tasty Tuesdays

Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesdays
Hearth and Soul Hop
Whatcha Makin' Wednesday
Eat at Home's Ingredient Spotlight: Oats

49 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I love the addition of oatmeal to shortbread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great recipe, no wonder you are being inspired! These look fantastic! I love oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, these look delicious, Lisa! Love oats and cinnamon together, and these would be perfect with a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like comfort food on a cold day like today:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh.my.goodness. Shortbread and oatmeal together? Now why didn't I think of that?
    Sounds really lovely! (Can't get too much brown sugar either!) I can smell them from here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. oatmeal shortbread? love this idea, might have to try this for xmas cookie season!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandma used to make a cookie similar to that called Scoth oat bars. YUMM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a delicious and healthy snack! Great with a cup of milk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a while since I've had oatmeal.. and these look lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just happen to have a can of oatmeal I need to use up..this would be a great recipe to try! They look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oatmeals are a must in my house. I had them regualry. I sure will use your recipe once I make it again. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look like they would make a great before bedtime snack for my toddler with his cup of milk. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that I could inspire you!! Looking forward to tons more recipe swapping :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, this is like shortbread with a redeeming quality (oats=fiber). Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like ur presentation in the bowl :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all things Oatmeal + Spice + Shortbread = your awesome, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your oat shortbread looks seasonally perfect!! Would be wonderful with a cup of piping hot coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This recipe looks delicious, can't wait to try it out! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your shot bread cookies look great. I may have to give your recipe a try. Thank you for sharing.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love oatmeal in baked goods! These look incredibly good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum yum! I bet these would travel well; I will be on the road for most of the Thanksgiving weekend!

    This would be a perfect addition to my blog part, This Week's Cravings!

    http://frommytinykitchen.blogspot.com/2010/11/this-weeks-cravings-thanksgiving.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum! I love anything shortbread! In fact I recently posted a shortbread crust with a pumpkin pie filling!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These sound like delicious shortbreads! I love that there's oatmeal in them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look delicious!! A good excuse to eat sugar for breakfast?? It has oatmeal!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never made shortbread. I was always afraid that it was dry. But yours looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look fantastic! Oatmeal is such a great addition to shortbread.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look great. Love when flavors set in and give you an entirely different flavor set in. Like a whole new snack.

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love the nuttiness oatmeal gives to baked goods. i bet this one is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
  29. simply delicious..nice addition of oatmeal!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can just imagine how good these tasted. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks great!

    I'd love for you to share your recipe at What's Cooking Wednesday!! Hope to see you there :)

    Cristi
    http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Well, you had me at cardamom. My favorite spice!!!! Would love to taste it in a shortbread. Thanks for sharing at the Hearth and Soul hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. This has to be good. I love oatmeal added to chocolate chip cookies, so why not in shortbread?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sounds Great . Thanks for linking up with me.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I like the use of oatmeal in these shortbreads Lisa! I bet your house smelled amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is chock-full of delicious flavors...sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing it w/ the hearth and soul hop this week :D

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is just the type of cookie that I love. They sound wonderful. I can almost smell them:)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Those do sound really good. Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  39. u took the shortbread a notch up by spicn it and adding oatmeal, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This sounds yummy. I always enjoy your recipes, so now I'm your newest follower. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  41. What an unusual flavor combination. I think I would love these. I would actually love computer magic that let me have a taste of everything especially late at night as I read all of these delicious recipes. Boy I wouldn't be able to move would I?

    ReplyDelete
  42. These are wonderfully rustic looking! :-) I'm glad you added the sugar on top - that would make them even better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow, what a wonderful combination...they look so pretty in lovely bowl :)

    ReplyDelete