Friday, February 14, 2014

Be Mine Ghirardelli Cake Donuts

A while ago, I was contacted by Ghirardelli asking if I would like to sample their new Ghirardelli Valentine's Impressions chocolates.  Well, who am I to say no to yummy chocolate?  I figured I'd probably be getting a few pieces to try in the mail, but, instead, I was thrilled to find this huge box waiting for me:


I was over the moon!  There are so many delicious pieces to choose from.  Milk chocolate with dark chocolate centers or dark/milk chocolate with white chocolate centers.  A little something for everyone - you're sure to find your favorite.  The Valentine's ones have cute little hearts imprinted in the centers and the Spring ones have little Easter eggs and baskets.  They make the perfect sized nibble to satisfy your chocolate cravings and would be the sweetest thing to give to those you love this Valentine's Day.  There's still time to go and pick some up from yourself - I know I last saw them at Target.    


I chose to use them to top some vanilla cake donuts.  Since I don't have a donut pan (one of these days I swear I'll buy one), I used a little square brownie pan instead, which gave me square donuts, of course.  While they may not look like your typical donuts, they were the perfect shape and size for these Ghirardelli chocolates.  No need for frosting when you have a layer of melty chocolate instead.  Plus, they look so pretty, like mini Valentine's day cards, but even better cause you can eat these after you read the messages on them.  


By themselves, the donuts tasted a bit plain, since they weren't that sweet.  But, with their chocolate topping, they were absolutely delicious.  The best part was eating them while they were still warm, with all the chocolate floating in a puddle on top then dripping down the sides.  Thanks a bunch, Ghirardelli! 

Vanilla Cake Donuts (adapted from the Life and Times of Grumpy's Honeybunch)

1-3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 c. buttermilk (I used 1/4 c. plain yogurt + 1/4 c. water)
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted (I used 2 Tbsp. canola oil)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
 
12 Ghirardelli Impression Chocolates
 
Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.  Mix together the buttermilk, sugar, egg, butter/oil, and vanilla till well blended.  Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix till smooth.  

Grease a donut pan (or a square brownie pan) and fill each indentation 2/3 full, smoothing down the tops.
Bake at 325F for 13 minutes, or until the donuts spring back when you press them down in the middle. 
Let cool in the pan for a few minutes, then remove. 

While still warm, top each donut with a Ghirardelli Impression Chocolate.  Chill in the fridge if you do not want the chocolate to get too melty, or eat while still warm and the chocolate is gooey.  


23 comments:

  1. Wow! That is so cool! I love Ghirardelli. Those are such cute designs and a clever way to use them. Once again, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing! Kind of like a cross between a donut & a Le Petit Ecolier cookie... which just happen to be 2 of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. homemade donuts. Yes please. These look terrific. Come and visit, we have a new look and would love your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proficiently composed data. Will probably be successful to any individual who makes use of it, counting me. Keep up the good work. For certain I'll evaluate out additional posts working day in and time out.สล็อตออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog Site is rather neat! How was it produced !สล็อต 999

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This might be Just about the most helpful blogs we have at any time run into on thesubject. In fact exceptional information! I’m also an expert During this matter so I can have an understanding of your exertion.สล็อตวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog Site is rather neat! How was it produced !สล็อตแตกง่าย

    ReplyDelete
  8. Proficiently composed data. Will probably be successful to any individual who makes use of it, counting me. Keep up the good work. For certain I'll evaluate out additional posts working day in and time out.บา คา ร่า วอ เลท

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fascinating dialogue is price tag remark. I come to feel that it is very best to write more on this matter, it is probably not a taboo topic however ordinarily people today are usually not plenty of to talk on this kind of topics. To the next. Cheers.บา คา ร่า วอ เลท

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've outdone you this time. It might be the best, most small comprehensive information that I have at any time seen.สล็อตเว็บใหญ่

    ReplyDelete
  11. What is an outstanding publish! “I’ll be back” (to go through extra of one's material). Thanks for your nudge!สล็อต ฝาก-ถอน true wallet ไม่มี บัญชีธนาคาร

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fascinating dialogue is price tag remark. I come to feel that it is very best to write more on this matter, it is probably not a taboo topic however ordinarily people today are usually not plenty of to talk on this kind of topics. To the next. Cheers.บาคาร่าวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  13. You recognize your assignments jump out of the crowd. There is a thing exceptional about them. It appears to me all of them are excellent.สล็อตทรูวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thankful to you personally for sharing this plethora of handy details. I discovered this resource utmost effective for me. Thanks lots for labor.สล็อตแตกง่าย

    ReplyDelete
  15. A fascinating dialogue is price tag remark. I come to feel that it is very best to write more on this matter, it is probably not a taboo topic however ordinarily people today are usually not plenty of to talk on this kind of topics. To the next. Cheers.สล็อตxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've outdone you this time. It might be the best, most small comprehensive information that I have at any time seen.เว็บสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is actually a properly-investigated content and outstanding wording. I acquired so engaged In this particular substance that I couldn’t hold out reading. I'm amazed with all your do the job and skill. Thanks.เว็บสล็อตเว็บตรง

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice publish! This is an extremely wonderful web site which i will definitively return to extra times this year! Thanks for educational post.เว็บตรงสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was surfing the web for information and facts and came upon your weblog. I'm amazed by the data you may have on this website. It reveals how properly you have an understanding of this matter.เว็บ ตรง

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks since you are actually willing to share data with us. we will usually recognize all you have accomplished in this article since I realize you are really concerned with our.เกมสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  21. Proficiently composed data. Will probably be successful to any individual who makes use of it, counting me. Keep up the good work. For certain I'll evaluate out additional posts working day in and time out.สล็อต เว็บ ตรง

    ReplyDelete