Thursday, December 12, 2013

Minty Hot Cocoa Mix


What with the weather getting colder, it's definitely reaching hot cocoa time.  Not to mention, it's also Christmastime and I love making treats to give to all my friends.  So, when I saw this Peppermint Crunch Hot Cocoa Mix featured on the Secret Recipe Club, I just knew it would make the perfect gift.

I did a little taste-testing with it and, as a result, changed the recipe up a little.  I left out the cinnamon and increased the cocoa powder by half to make it more chocolatey.  Also, I used Andes mints instead of the peppermint crunch.  The result was the most delicious hot cup of cocoa I've ever had that did not come out of a Swiss Miss box.  


Who in the world knew that making cocoa mix could be this easy?  Okay, fine, I'm sure you all knew, but it was a real eye opener for me.  While I can't say that I'll never buy my cocoa from a grocery store again, I do know that I'll be keeping some of this on hand, at least during the holidays.  I also have no doubt that the person I give this to is going to love it as much as I did. 

Minty Hot Cocoa Mix (inspired by Adventures in All Things Food)

3 c. sugar
3 c. nonfat instant dry milk powder
1 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
Andes mint candies, chopped
mini marshmallows

If you're using a more granular type of dry milk powder (see Note below), run it through a sieve to break up the lumps. 

Combine the dry milk powder with the sugar and cocoa powder and whisk to combine.  I also like to run it all through a sieve.  Layer the cocoa mix into jars with the chopped Andes mints and the mini marshmallows.

To make:  Combine 1/4 cup of the mix with 3/4 cup of hot water.    

Note:  If you buy the Carnation brand of instant dry milk, the powder is much finer.  If you buy the Wal-mart brand of dry milk, it'll be more granular and you'll have to break up the lumps. 

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite flavor combination and we must think alike. We have a similar recipe this month! Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete