Sunday, June 2, 2013

Healthy Chocolate PB Cookie Dough Dip

 

For this month's Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned to Sawsan's blog, Chef in Disguise.  Her blog is filled with lots of amazing middle-eastern recipes to give you a delicious taste of that side of the globe.

I was all set to make her Chocolate Peppermint Swirl Cookies.  But, then, I saw her recipe for Healthy Cookie Dough Dip and, well, everything changed.  I'm very big on healthy eating, but, as you all know, I also have a major sweet tooth.  Definitely not easy to balance the two.  So, when I saw this recipe, I was thrilled - what a way to have your cake and eat it too!

 

Sawsan made hers using white beans and date puree.  I didn't have any date puree, but her recipe said that honey or some other sweetener could be used, so I tried it with the honey first.  Unfortunately, once I added the honey, the dip became way too liquidy, almost like soup.  I'm not sure what went wrong, but I decided to try again. 

By this time, I didn't have another can of white beans to use, but I did have black beans so I went with that.  To prevent the problem of too much liquid, I used brown sugar in place of the honey.  Then, because chocolate goes so well with black beans (think black bean brownies), I threw in some cocoa powder.  Finally, I added some peanut butter.


The result was absolutely delicious, chocolatey peanut buttery goodness that you wouldn't believe.  Would I know that I'm eating beans?  Nope.  I seriously didn't even need anything to dip into it.  I grabbed a spoon and dug right in.

 

Thanks Sawsan for your awesome recipe. 

Healthy Chocolate Cookie Dough Dip

1 can black beans (rinsed and drained very well)
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. brown sugar
5-6 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1/2 c. peanut butter
chocolate chips (optional)

Add all ingredients (except for chocolate chips) to your food processor and blend until very smooth.  Then, mix in the chocolate chips.




25 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds perfect to try a healthy chocolate treat! You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The black beans make it slightly less guilty, right? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um yeah, I have to think about this one real hard. YEAH! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious and chocolate and healthy in the same title is a huge draw for me!

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry Paradise Mango Curried Shrimp.

    Lisa~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa - I'm so curious to give this a try. Black beans probably work so well with the chocolate - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love dips, but I never tried a sweet one! Knowing you can have a sweet dip might be lifechanging for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! What a great healthy recipe! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Lisa

    It is wonderful that we got each other's blogs. I really enjoyed going through your recipes and I will be making many of them for sure
    Really glad you enjoyed the dip, I love your chocolate version.
    As for the white beans and honey, I used home cooked beans and those are thicker in consistency and I added the oat flour so that may have made it thicker. I updated my post with the tip that to balance the honey reduce the milk and add the oatflour and with a link to your wonderful chocolate versin :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I would never have thought to put black beans with a sweet dip - very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never would have put those ingredients together but I'm really excited about trying this! Great choice for a recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! Love the idea of a healthy chocolate dip - perfect SRC pick :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is totally blowing my mind right now! Healthy chocolate and PB cookie dough dip?? Must try!!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a cool idea using beans. Great sweet and healthy dip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very interesting, and something I must try with kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I pinned this recipe already because I need to try this. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just made it today, and it is yummy! It came out a bit thick, but it wasn't until I was taking the dip out of the food processor that I thought of a solution - a bit of coconut oil to attain the desired consistency. That would make it even healthier, wouldn't it?

      Now to figure out all the good things I can dip into this. Pretzels are good. And animal crackers.

      Delete
  16. Lisa, looks like you found a winner. Healthy and yummm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow! I had no idea you could make a dessert dip out of beans! That is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How wonderful that you got Sawsan's blog, I've been reading her blog for a long time, and love it!

    You picked a great recipe, I am sure you had a hard time choosing... :-)

    Nice to meet you!

    (Sally, from Group D)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A dip that goes well with Golden Oreos? Yes please! Plus the fact that it is healthier than normal dessert dips is a bonus. Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sugar Industry - Sugar Technology International Texas USA. Sugar industry, incredibly, insists that once you look at the research, no expert says that sugar leads to any disease, even obesity you may visit this site: http://groupsti.com for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks decadent and delicious! I have made garbanzo bean fudge before, and will now have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You’ve written nice post, I am gonna bookmark this page, thanks for info. I actually appreciate your own position and I will be sure to come back here.
    graniet tafelblad

    ReplyDelete