Monday, March 11, 2013

Cookies and Cream Cake


 

I found out a month ago that it would be my turn to make the cake to celebrate the March birthdays in my girls' youth group.  I've been dreaming about making this cake ever since.  The original recipe comes from the KRAFT website.  However, I knew that I'd want to change things up a bit.

To start with, I used my go-to chocolate cake recipe instead of a boxed mix.  I also decided to slice each cake into two layers for filling, which would give me a four-layer cake.

 

 Then, for the filling, I wanted it a little sweeter and more vanilla-y, so I added some powdered sugar and vanilla.  Finally, instead of covering the cake with melted chocolate, I decided to use vanilla buttercream instead.

 

This cake is definitely a labor of love.  From start to finish (making the components, baking, decorating), I think it must have taken me over two hours.  But, it is so worth it.  The chocolate cake is perfectly moist and chocolatey.  Then, you have a whipped cream cheese filling chock full of Oreo cookies (three layers of filling to be exact).  Plus, a vanilla buttercream frosting that tastes exactly like the cream in the Oreo cookies.  If I ever need another chocolate birthday cake again, you can bet I'm making this one!  I hope my girls like it as much as I do.  


Cookies and Cream Cake

Cake (adapted from Recipegirl)
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. hot water
1 c. unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla

Cookies and Cream Filling (adapted from Kraft)
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
8 oz. Cool Whip
1 tsp. vanilla
17 Oreo cookies, coarsely crushed

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (Sweet as Sugar Cookies)
1 c. butter, softened
3 c. powdered sugar
1-2 tsp. vanilla (depending on taste)
milk (add to desired consistency)

Oreo cookies (for decorating)

For the cake:
Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.  Cut out parchment paper to fit in the pans and grease and flour the parchment paper too.  

Combine the melted butter with the sugars.  Beat in the eggs and vanilla.  Mix in the cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add the flour alternately with the hot water, beginning and ending with the flour. Pour into the cake pans (about 3 cups of batter per pan).

Bake at 350F for 25-30 min. until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool in cake pans for 10 min., then remove and let cool completely on wire racks before filling and frosting.

For the filling:  Beat cream cheese with sugar and powdered sugar.  Add the vanilla.  Stir in the Cool Whip and crushed cookies.

For the frosting:  Beat the butter with the powdered sugar until light and fluffy.  Add in the vanilla and mix well.  Add milk as needed until you reach your desired consistency. 

For the assembly:
Slice each cake layer in half, horizontally, to form two layers.  Place one cake layer on a plate and frost with one-third of the filling.  Continue repeating with the rest of the layers.  Frost the cake with the buttercream frosting.  If desired, cover the outside of the cake with crushed Oreo cookies and use more cookies for the top. 

9 comments:

  1. How could anyone not like this?? It looks absolutely delectable!!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! Totally bakery-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks about as good as it gets. So Yummy. Thank you for your labor of love and for sharing it and hosting this blog. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. your cake looks super awesome with so many layers. i bet the girls enjoyed it tremendously!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish it were my birthday so I could make myself this cake! It looks wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheesh, that looks delicious! I'm sure it was well-loved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! I love that it's 4 layers. I'd be afraid of not cutting the layers in half evenly, but I guess I would just have to be careful. The garnish is so cute!

    ReplyDelete