Monday, February 25, 2013

Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes



I am on such a cupcake kick.  It's like all I can think about are those little cakes filled with something dreamy and topped with a creamy frosting.  I've now got a list about a dozen long of recipes that I want to try.  I even went out and bought a ton of cupcake wrappers (super cheap) the day after Valentine's.  So now, all that's left to do is make them and you can bet that's what I'm going to do.


After making chocolate cupcakes, I decided that lemon would be a nice change.  After searching through countless blogs, I finally hit upon a recipe that looked lemony enough to satisfy me on the blog, Une Gamine dans la Cuisine.  Let me tell you, that recipe did not disappoint.  I was delighted to find such a delicious recipe on the first try.  The cake had a nice crumb to it, was super moist, soft and spongy, and packed with a lemony flavor that makes your tastebuds sing (or zing).


To finish them off, I decided to pattern them after the Lemon Raspberry Cookie Cups I made last year.  The middles are filled with a dollop of raspberry jam, are topped off with lemon cream cheese frosting, and are then piped with more frosting (cause you can always use more).  The combo is simply delightful and perfect for spring.


What cupcake will I make next?  Stay tuned . . .

Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes (Sweet as Sugar Cookies)

Cupcakes (from Une Gamine dans la Cuisine)
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. lemon zest
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk (I used skim milk)
1/4 tsp. almond extract (I used vanilla)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice

4 Tbsp. raspberry jam

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (Sweet as Sugar Cookies)

8 oz. cream cheese
4 Tbsp. butter
1 c. powdered sugar
2 tsp. lemon zest
2 tsp. lemon juice

For the cupcakes: 
Preheat the oven to 350F.  Line muffin tins with 12 paper liners.  

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. 

Rub the lemon zest into the sugar with your fingertips until it is moist and fragrant.  Beat with the butter until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for about 1 minute per egg.  Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice.

Add 1 cup of the flour mixture and mix to combine.  Add the buttermilk and stir well.  Add the remaining flour mixture and mix to combine.  

Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.  Bake for 20-25 min. or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Remove from oven and let cool completely before filling and frosting.

For the cream cheese frosting:  Beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth.  Beat in the powdered sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the lemon zest and lemon juice.  

For the assembly:  Cut a small cone out of the top of each cupcake.  Fill each space halfway with raspberry jam.   Pipe the cream cheese frosting into the cupcake to fill the rest of the space.  Continue frosting as desired. 

5 comments:

  1. Yummy! I'm in a cupcake frenzy too! I've been learning some vegan bakery recipes and since then I can't stop trying new cupcakes recipes.
    The lemon cream cheese frosting must taste heavenly good! :-)
    Oh I'm hungry now! All your cuppie's fault!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to never make cupcakes until recently and now that I've realized how fun they are, I want to make more and more! Lemon and raspberry is one of my favourite combinations, these look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooooooooove the combination of raspberry and lemon, and these look scrumptious !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to make these after checking out a few options on pinterest. I thought your cream cheese frosting sounded the best and easiest. Of course it was 9 o'clock at night before I started making these, had to wait until the kids were off to bed. I was so distraught, butter is not listed in the ingredients for the frosting! So, not only did I not have any at room temperature, but I didn't know how much to use. :(

    I made it work by finding a similar recipe. I cheated and used a box of yellow cake and a piping tip to fill the cupcakes. They were absolutely divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I am so sorry. That's one reason why I shouldn't be writing posts near midnight. Thank you so much for notifying me about this. I have corrected the recipe.

      Delete