Sunday, April 25, 2010

Perfect Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

The search is OVER. I have now found the best, and I mean best, peanut butter oatmeal cookie recipe. Thank goodness that I found it on the second try. It beats Dorie's PB Oatmeal Chipsters by a mile. They are nice and crispy and peanut-buttery. I dare you to stop after eating just one.

I found the recipe on the Allrecipes website. I absolutely love the site since you can find all sorts of recipes there with tons of reviews and ratings. This recipe, by the way, was a 5-star with 547 ratings. Yep, when there are that many good reviews, you simply can't go wrong.

I opted to make them without the peanut butter filling. Although, sandwiching them together with chocolate or drizzling them with melted chocolate also sounds like a wonderful idea. Or putting chocolate chips in the batter. Yes, a little something extra would certainly not be scorned, but, they are amazing enough to stand on their own. Anything extra would simply be icing on the cake (or cookie as it were).

I have only three words left to say about this cookie: THIS . . . . IS . . . . IT!!!!!

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies (from Allrecipes)

3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt (add only a pinch if using salted butter)
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. quick cooking oats

Filling:
3 Tbsp. butter
1 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. smooth peanut butter
2 1/2 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream

Cream the butter with the peanut butter, sugars, and vanilla. Add egg. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and oats. Add to the butter mixture. Drop by teaspoons onto a baking sheet and press each mound down to form 1/4" thick cookies. Bake at 350F for 10 min. or until cookies are firm to the touch.

Combine the ingredients for the filling and spread onto half the cooled cookies. Top with the other cookies to form sandwiches.

Note: I used Kroger brand crunchy peanut butter. I prefer this one because they use peanut halves rather than those tiny pieces of peanuts. But, your favorite brand of peanut butter will do.

1 comment:

  1. These sound heavenly! PB and oatmeal are two of my favorite things...in fact, that's my favorite way to eat oatmeal in the morning too :) Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete