Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Angel Biscuits


Years ago, when I was a child, my mother's friend brought us a plate of freshly baked biscuits. These biscuits, however, were not your usual buttermilk biscuits. They were lighter and fluffier and just different in a way that I couldn't put my finger on. All I knew was that they tasted out of this world and, as I grew up, I still have never forgotten them.

I learned that they were called, "Angel Biscuits" and that they were lighter than normal biscuits due to the addition of yeast in the dough. Luckily, she had also left the recipe with us though years passed by and we never made them.

Teased by the memory of that taste, I finally decided to undertake the task. While being slightly more time-consuming than other biscuit recipes, the time spent is well worth it. When that oven door opens, you are rewarded with marvelous biscuits as light as a cloud and almost akin to a roll. And, if you add a little pat of butter to them, I guarantee you'll be in heaven for sure.


Angel Biscuits

1 pkg. active dry yeast
3 Tbsp. warm water
5 c. all-purpose flour
5 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 c. sugar
1 c. unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. buttermilk (I used 2 Tbsp. vinegar and then added milk to make 2 cups)

Add 2 tsp. sugar to the warm water and dissolve the yeast in it. Let sit about 5 minutes until foamy.

Sift the dry ingredients, including the remaining sugar. Cut in the butter until fine as crumbs. Combine the yeast mixture with the buttermilk and add to the flour mixture. Stir quickly until the dough holds together.

Knead on a floured board for 30 seconds to make a smooth dough. Do not allow to rise. Fold the dough over itself about three times, pat out to 1/2" thickness, and cut with a biscuit cutter. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 12-14 min. in a 425F oven. If dough cannot be baked immediately, refrigerate.

Note: This recipe makes quite a lot. I used a mini biscuit cutter, about 1 1/2" in diameter and got 4 dozen mini biscuits. However, they're so good that I don't think you'll have any problem devouring them all.

This recipe is linked to:
Friday Potluck

16 comments:

  1. Gosh, I haven't made angel biscuits in years, but I do love their taste and texture. Yours look great, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look SO good. I'm glad you found the recipe and shared it....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These biscuits sound heavenly! My guy loves having biscuits or rolls with dinners and like I said they don't appear enough on his plate for his liking. Might need to make these soon for him. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to try these, but like you said, it is a bit more work than normal biscuits. I like a lot of your recipes, so I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of these but I am going to have to make them! We are a roll/biscuit loving family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am getting hungry just looking at them. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I bet these biscuits will be lovely with a bowl of soup! :P BTW, I'm having my very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop my to submit an entry when you have time. Good luck! http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, first, I love your new profile picture :)

    Second, your biscuits look so fabulous and light! Love the idea of yeast biscuits. Thanks for sharing a childhood favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This biscuits sounds lovely! I have never tried or heard of Angel Biscuits, until now! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so light and fluffy! What a great accompaniment to breakfast, lunch or dinner! Thank you for sharing this with me. Thank you also for taking the time to visit my blog. I hope this weekend swells with love and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mother has always made these and we love them!! We call them Angel Biscuits too! These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Angel Biscuits looks as soft as Angel's. I would like to invite you to bring a dish to Full Plate Thursday. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week end!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lisa, I am so glad to see this recipe again! I made these years ago and forgot about them until your blog post, thanks for the reminder. Angle biscuit dough is great to have on hand during the winter always ready to bake and serve with soup and stew. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always been a fan of biscuits, especially KFC's!(I worked there when I was 15, so I ate my share of them.) Anyways, I've never attempted to make my own--maybe these will make the list for my Easter menu! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really this biscuit is very sweet. to share.

    new tech app

    ReplyDelete