Saturday, March 6, 2010

Irish Soda Bread

It's just been one school deadline after another. Really, where does the time go? As a result, I haven't had a chance to bake anything for weeks and I was starting to go into baking withdrawal. This weekend was no exception since I had a paper I was working on. That meant that I couldn't bake a batch of cookies, which is my personal preference (not to mention there are sooooo many amazing recipes I'm dying to try - Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies, Chunky Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chipsters, and Comfort and Joy Spice Cookies, to name a few).

However, I was still determined to bake something, anything. Thus, the idea for Irish Soda Bread was born. What with St. Patrick's Day coming up, it's been on my mind. It's such a quick and easy recipe and I've always wanted to try making my own. Somehow or other I've just never gotten around to it, until now.

So, after spending my customary hour in the gym (I had to burn off the future calories I would consume while eating my fresh bread), I got into my kitchen, whipped up the dough, and got it into the oven to bake in less than 15 minutes (yes it really IS that quick). In half an hour, I had a crusty, crackly loaf fresh from the oven. It was good, but not quite what I was expecting. Next time I make it, and there WILL be a next time, I'll probably try adding more sugar to sweeten the deal. But, until that time, I guess I'll just have to satisfy myself eating this loaf (ahhh, the sacrifices I make for my craft).

Irish Soda Bread (as adapted from Baking Bites)

2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/4 c. buttermilk

Combine the dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk until the dough comes together. Form into a disk on a floured baking sheet and flatten to about 1 1/2 inch thickness. Using a serrated knife, cut an "X" shape in the top of the loaf. Bake at 375F for 30 min. until the loaf is brown and sounds hollow when you tap the bottom. Eat plain or with butter and jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment